Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Quit quilting and clean House (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/quit-quilting-clean-house-t260811.html)

w1613s 02-05-2015 07:00 AM

We all "do" something. My SIL is a beautiful, marvelous woman and vaccuums. She has more of the things than I have sewing machines and sergers. I wonder why her floors, upholstery, and draperies don't wear thin. When I grow up I am going to be just like her.

Pat

P-BurgKay 02-05-2015 07:11 AM

Oh, my, My dear hubby, is retired. He is the one that does the house cleaning. I still work 3 days a week, and quilt the other 4 days. I do at least once a year, completely clean the house, curtains down washed and pressed, windows washed, walls dusted, etc. I do so love a clean house, but quilting comes first, as long as DH is still around to clean.

Patchesnposies 02-05-2015 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Taylorsgram (Post 7077873)
My Mom was an avid gardener, bird watcher and fisherman - our food and clothes were always clean - we had a few dust bunnies sometimes - she said she was going to be under 6' of dust for a very long time and was not going to chase it while she was alive....

LOL!!! I LOVE this. Your mama was so right! Thanks for sharing her point of view. I'm going to tell my DH. It is his philosophy completely. He'll appreciate it.

mumzer 02-05-2015 08:44 AM

I do the ceiling and walls once a month and the floors once a week and dust whenever. One time I let the dusting go and wrote on a table Martha Stewart Doesn't Live Here. My GD got a big charge out of that. Some days I just want to be creative and learn new quilting blocks or finish a project and I could care less about the house. As long as we are healthy and happy it will be fine. Always another day to clean as long as I don't let things go to long and make it harder on myself.

tessagin 02-05-2015 09:10 AM

When I do dishes, I get the water in the sink really hot. I use the microfiber rags. After washing the dishes, I wipe down the appliances at face value on one day. Before I sweep the floor, I start at the ceiling to knock any cobwebs down, then wipe the table and work my way to sweep the floor. I have a small kitchen but use a big mop and industrial squeeze bucket. I see no purpose in using a small sponge or small mop. I use a wet Swiffer on my kitchen cupboards to get rid of any dust. Bathroom is mostly ceramic walls. Scrubbing bubbles and a small mop in the shower/tub area are great. I spray everything down and the toilet starting with the tub/shower area. We have handheld shower. I hit the tub/shower with hot water then spray it after I've hit the sinks and toilet. by the time I get to the tub/shower, it only takes about 5 minutes then rinse. Then the floor. We have a tiny bathroom. So really only takes about 20 minutes. I have about 3 sf to mop. those are the worst areas. I clean the bedroom when I change sheets. One new set. So when it goes into the washer I just clean the bedroom (10x10). I have to do this because dog hair moves at lightning speed. Not going to talk about the office and sewing room. I try to pick up as I go. All in all I might spend 4 hours a month on my house. It's little. Yeah would like more space but really only need a 1/2 bath because invariably, we seem to need it at the same time. Throug the day we're good.

sparkys_mom 02-05-2015 09:33 AM

I'm down-sizing, or as they call it these days, right-sizing. I've been getting rid of stuff for about a month - much of it things I'd forgotten I had and/or never used. I met with a realtor today. It won't be long until I move from a 3 BR 1500 sq foot condo to a 2 BR 1000 sq foor retirement apartment. The monthly fees include all my utilities, once a week housecleaning, linen service (sheets and towels), and one meal a day. I can hardly wait!!

Gotta run ... I'm off on another trip to Goodwill. :D

Stitchit123 02-05-2015 09:47 AM

Dust bunnies don't scare me but as soon as I catch that cob he's getting flushed. I now have electric heat and it seems like cobwebs have gone crazy-I sweep the floors every day and the ceilings every other day. But as I was reading every ones posts I was looking around and its time to do a bit de-cluttering maybe. I have 3prs of shoes 2 prs of boots and an array of jackets and coats on the backs of chairs. Our weather is very squirrelly- Mon. was a hoodie-Tues was a jean jacket-Weds was a heavy wool long coat-today is a spring jacket - Fri and Sat. will be shorts and T-shirt. I try to keep up with my messes. And if I know I'm getting company I will dust and do a second sweeping. But I do a complete old fashion spring and fall cleaning I figure that's enough heavy cleaning a year. My sewing room gets a good going over after each project. I can not stand a messy sewing room -it zaps my creativity.

yngldy 02-05-2015 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sophie2 (Post 7077908)
When I first retired a year and a half ago, every morning about 8 I would start cleaning one room, cleaning cupboards, closets, etc. and work on it until about 11:30. Then I would have lunch and sew/quilt the rest of the day. Now I am on the computer until about 9, get dressed and quilt. Floors and furniture get dusted once a week, laundry gets done and I do lots of quilting. My DH teases me about my quilting dust causing him to have "quilters lung"! To help combat that, I keep the door to my studio closed. Life is too short to not do what makes one happy. :) Quilt On!

Tell him vacuums are not gender biased! lol

BerninaGirl 02-05-2015 09:52 AM

A spider needs a place to live, and if you ever look at a spider web that catches the light it is beautiful.
I remind myself of that every time I find one in my house.

Kitsie 02-05-2015 10:43 AM

I live alone and my kitchen and bathrooms are always clean, but I wait for my dear cousin to come down from Canada for a visit, then I do a deep clean - which reminds me she'll be here in 3 weeks so I'd better get started!!