Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Read any good books lately? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/read-any-good-books-lately-t275904.html)

Angellight 02-20-2016 03:38 PM

I've read the Outlander series except for her last one at least twice. I originally picked up Dragonfly in Amber, and realized I had missed something. Diana Gabaldon is probably my favorite author.
I recently read "The Boys in the Boat." by Daniel James Brown. The true story(ies) of the US rowing team at the 1936 Olympics. WONDERFUL read!
I have read many others, including James Patterson, Nora Roberts, Lisa Gardner, David Baldacci, Sandra Brown, Kathleen Woodwiss, Janet Evanovich, Eileen Goudge and whoever catches my interest at the time.

Happy reading,
Susan
My paternal grandmother was an avid reader - re-reader and passed it on to at least 2 of her 6 grandauggters

kathdavis 02-20-2016 04:25 PM

Reading "The Second Sister" by Marie Bostwick. I love her books. They usually have to do with quilting and are always good. I don't think this one will disappoint me.

EasyPeezy 02-20-2016 05:14 PM

Thanks for sharing. Another good book...Look Again by Lisa Scottoline.

Onebyone 02-20-2016 06:26 PM

I'm reading the new George M.M. Martin's A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.

I finished Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. by Orson Scott Card. This book kept me interested from start to finish.

I love the Agent Pendergast series novels by Preston and Child. Very entertaining. I re read a classic at least every few months. Right now I'm re reading The Jungle by Sinclair Lewis.

SandyinZ4 02-20-2016 06:52 PM

Wow! Lots of good suggestions for you to track down here. I have read many of the authors suggested but in my 70 plus years of reading, I have to say that Outlander is the best series I have ever read. I would say that if you don't have access to the DVD's of the tv version, you are just better off reading the books. I won't watch any more of the made for tv parts. Even though the characters are well-cast...you miss so much from the book version. Happy reading!

patski 02-20-2016 07:04 PM

I just read Too Close to Home, it was a terrific mystery and a tear jerker

judy363905 02-20-2016 07:13 PM

Great list of books mentioned...I have read most of the mysteries and just finished two books about adopted cats (story told through the eyes of the cats) by W. L.Wakem. With the news of Harper Lee's passing I will to read "To Kill a Mockingbird" again -- just because.

Judy in Phoenix

paoberle 02-21-2016 03:42 AM

The Girl on the Train - author is Hawkins, I believe. It start slow, but don't quit!
Try books by Milchman - she has three out
Michael Connelly
John Connelly
Coben
Baldacci
Johannsen

JuneBillie 02-21-2016 03:43 AM

I love C.S. Lewis's works. Also for young people, but I have the collection by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

sparkys_mom 02-21-2016 04:50 AM

I love the Outlander series. Discovered it years ago and read through all of the books, then listened to them again on disc. I don't subscribe to Showtime but managed to catch the first season last year on "binge week" and loved it. They did a terrific job on casting and leaving the story intact.

It's an old book, but The Shell Seekers is wonderful (no sex! :) ) and I basically love anything that Rosamund Pilcher has written.

I'm also very fond of Anne Rivers Siddon and have enjoyed everything she's written.

Michael Connelly is great and last year Amazon released a series based on the character Bosch. I really liked it but haven't seen any followups on it.