Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Read any good books lately? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/read-any-good-books-lately-t39560.html)

booklady 03-14-2010 03:49 PM

As my screen name suggests . . . I'm a bibliophile. My daily work keeps me active working with High school students and I try to read as many of "their" books as possible. The kids are much more apt to check out one of my suggestions if I am able to tell them some of the story. But it does take time away from my quilting passion if I read.

Since reading the books in my school library kills two birds with one stone (job related reading and general love of reading) I tend to fall away from more general adult books. So just so I know what I'm missing . . . what are you reading?

Maride 03-14-2010 04:10 PM

I recently finished Water for Elephants and it was great. Can you get books on CD or MP3 format? That way you can kill two birds on one shot all the time, even while you quilt.I have this one on CD if you are interested. I listened to it from my I-pod.

Chasing Hawk 03-14-2010 04:48 PM

Where white men fear to tread by Russel Means
God is Red by Vine DeLoria

mamatobugboo 03-14-2010 04:52 PM

anything by Amy Tan or Lisa See....Lisa See is FABULOUS!!!!!!

canmitch1971 03-14-2010 05:14 PM

I was going to say Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

montanaquilter 03-14-2010 05:37 PM

I'm working on the entire Elm Creek Quilter series, they are very good!! You don't even have to read them in order and that's one of things that i love about them, the other thing i like about them is that they include a little history to the story which makes the fictional storyline even better!!

ilovequilts 03-14-2010 06:14 PM

The Shack by William P. Young-amazing!
Anything by Emily Giffin (girly but fabulous)
Just bought "Last Song" and look forward to reading that

Lisanne 03-14-2010 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by montanaquilter
I'm working on the entire Elm Creek Quilter series, they are very good!! You don't even have to read them in order and that's one of things that i love about them, the other thing i like about them is that they include a little history to the story which makes the fictional storyline even better!!

They are wonderful, and it's true, you can read some of them out of order. I'd start at the beginning, though, if you can. The historical ones can be read out of order of the current time ones, but they should be read in their own order.

Anyone who's job hunting will enjoy Circle of Quilters, and that's one I'd say could be read out of order, unless you really don't like knowing things in advance. The book is about hiring two new staff members to replace two who are leaving, so if that bothers you, hold off. Otherwise, you won't be at sea for not having read earlier ones first.

deedles215 03-14-2010 06:27 PM

If you haven't read them already, the Twilight books are wonderful. -It took me a while to get reading on to something else, I thought they were so good!
The books by Khaled Housseini are awesome- The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.
I'm in the middle of Anthony Bourdain's book, No Reservations- I've liked it so far (be prepared for some savory words however!).
I have Water For Elephants as a 'next' book. My sister says it's wonderful.
I'm also reading The Latehomecomer by Kao Kalia Yang- it's a Hmong memoir. It's a great historical book on the Hmong people.
I've read a lot of Jodi Picoult books- they are very good.
Have fun!

Lisanne 03-14-2010 06:27 PM

I'm big on light mysteries (not the ones with graphic descriptions of violence). I've been reading my way through the Daisy Dalrymple series by Carola Dunn, about a 1920s English aristocrat who eventually marries a Scotland Yard detective.

I finally hit #1 on the library waiting list for Sue Grafton's latest, U Is for Undertow, and I'm reading that now.

The most recent good non-fiction I've read:

The Cure by Geeta Anand, true story about how a father started his own biotech company to try to save his children's lives from the genetic disease, Pompe Syndrome.

The Checklist Manifesto: How to Do Things Right by Atul Gawande, MD

Growing Up Bin Laden by his wife and 4th son, along with Jean Sasson. I read this about a month ago. Enthralling, but sad. Ultimately, he didn't treat his family any better then the unwashed, uneducated terrorists-in-training in his camps.

I know I read some worthwhile fiction lately, just can't think what...