Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Realtives (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/realtives-t262569.html)

Dawn Marie 03-13-2015 01:28 PM

Realtives

I just found out on Ancestries,that most of my realitives, are from Iowa.My great grandfather came on the May Flower. First went to West Virginia, any way family name is Fox. I know I must have family out there I don't know. How do I go about finding out if any are still around?
I have the cities they first moved to,but not sure if they stayed in that city. My grand father was born Fox according to birth.He changed his name to Clark.Don't think it is legal because no other Clarks in family. He had a sister Ethel.She married in Iowa and moved to Indiana years later. I'm at a stand still in locating any one else. It would be a great help in knowing how to find anyone in Iowa. Thank You.

Barb in Louisiana 03-13-2015 02:16 PM

I wonder, did you intend to post this on Ancestry.com? It is there that you can research family trees, census records, and lots of other data. Now....did a quilt come over on the Mayflower???? If so, you'll have all of us interested. lol

joyce blint 03-13-2015 04:12 PM

We live near Burlington, Ia and I believe there are Foxes there, altho I don't know them personally. Might be worth checking into.

wanda lou 03-13-2015 11:08 PM

Did you do the DNA test, it will link you with family.. I love it.

AZ Jane 03-14-2015 06:38 AM

DNA does not necessarily match you with family, more ethnicity. Unless your family also has the DNA testing. I'm Irish, I know I'm Irish. If you are on ancestry.com, sooner or later people will start to contact you (IF they are interested in contact) I have had several cousins contact me. Only one was not related at all. Give it time. The more info you can put into ancestry, the more you will find.

Just an aside, I had a great uncle, who remarried and had children with the new wife. I don't know how they did it but the convinced him to add a new letter to the last name to make them different. Now that is confusing while doing research!! LOL. Yes, I seem to have quite a fe wackies in the family, explains a lot!
<link href="chrome://s3gt/skin/s3gt_tooltip.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">

Bubbie 03-14-2015 09:20 AM

When you are posting on Ancestry.com, you need to make sure all of your information is "PUBLIC". That lets others reach out to you. You might also contact your local LDS church (you do not have to be a member), they have a lot of records and they also have classes on finding ancestries. Good luck

Halo 03-14-2015 12:23 PM

My sister is into this & has found ancesters from From Royalty & even related to Johnny Appleseed. Yes, he was a real person. Anyway it did take her a long time searching & had to spell names in different ways to get some of the connection. She also used the Find-a-Grave site to help her. Some times you get better info from that site. For instance, they will have family members listed. With her making this all public, she has gotten e-mail from relatives from decendants of 3 generations passed. Just keep digging with all the names you do have & you will make a connection.

madamekelly 03-14-2015 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dawn Marie (Post 7126320)
I just found out on Ancestries,that most of my realitives, are from Iowa.My great grandfather came on the May Flower. First went to West Virginia, any way family name is Fox. I know I must have family out there I don't know. How do I go about finding out if any are still around?
I have the cities they first moved to,but not sure if they stayed in that city. My grand father was born Fox according to birth.He changed his name to Clark.Don't think it is legal because no other Clarks in family. He had a sister Ethel.She married in Iowa and moved to Indiana years later. I'm at a stand still in locating any one else. It would be a great help in knowing how to find anyone in Iowa. Thank You.

We have a Nancy Fox in our tree that hails from that area, but that is all we know of her.

maryb119 03-14-2015 06:34 PM

To look in Iowa, you can google the county you are interested in. Each county had it's own page with a history page. Some have census from long ago with names and ages of the families on them. There are links to other counties as well. I went to school with a family with the name of Fox. That was in Fayette county. It's a start.

Geri B 03-15-2015 04:15 AM

Geology can just go on and on in so many directions. I know someone who does it professionally along with her own family tree.......quite interesting, but intense. She now saves every bit of paper she generates..sales slips, voting receipts,..... so that her future family members will have an easier path to follow.........