Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Recycling? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/recycling-t83978.html)

Rosyhf 12-19-2010 06:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I just had to share this with you. I am so proud of myself and so delighted with my new find.

It's cold here in florida and my neck seems to get a bit cold. I remembered a cashmere turtleneck that I put in a pin, because moths cut a couple holes in it.

I went ahead and cut the sweater all open. Then I cut out as wide a strip as I could from the front and back, just crazing the armholes and then cut accross the neck and then I had two nice wide squares.

I did the same with the arms. I then join one arm each to each of the body squares and then sewed those together.

I then folded this long piece in half and sewed accross both the ends and then all the way down, leaving a space to turn.

Oh, I steamed pressed the seams open before turning. I was scared to do it but the iron has a notch for wool, so I went for it and it steamed nice. I then steamed pressed on the outside and here it is on Pricilla. I knew that sculpture would come in handy some day lol.

Then I pulled out a sweater that I loved the colors but can't deal with the turtleneck. So I ran a yarn down the middle for the center and then I sewed down each side of the yarn, the I cut down the middle. The sewing will hold the stitches. I will then make two front ribbings and I will then have a cardigan. The pic came out overexposed for some reason but you can see the many colors. I love it.

oops, I didn't turn it, here you can see how long it is with just one wrap
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145419[/ATTACH]

Here with two wraps, you can see where the arm parts just tapered nicely for my scarf
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145420[/ATTACH]

cuttting down the middle of a sweater is called steeking.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145421[/ATTACH]

sewgull 12-19-2010 06:24 PM

Smart thinking. Beautiful scarves

Ditter43 12-19-2010 06:29 PM

Great ideas! I love that multi colored sweater! What a good way to "recycle"!! :thumbup: :D :thumbup:

ptquilts 12-19-2010 07:01 PM

I had a cowl neck sweater (remember those?) that I cut the cowl off of and made a knit cap.

you can also use lightweight cashmere for ultra-soft baby toys.(animals)

pab 12-19-2010 07:14 PM

Nice idea Rosy!Are you going to use grograin ribbon on the center of the sweater? How did you finish this after you used the yarn,cut and sewed?Will the sweater unravel if no finish for seams?Thanks for a reply pab

CarrieAnne 12-19-2010 07:57 PM

Great ideas!

sueisallaboutquilts 12-19-2010 08:17 PM

Rosy, you are so clever! I always enjoy your "show and tell" :D:D

Jim's Gem 12-19-2010 08:33 PM

Great job on both of them!!!

SueDor 12-20-2010 03:07 AM

Great ideas!

Cuilteanna 12-20-2010 05:55 AM

I love turning pullovers (which I hate) into cardies! I recently "rescued" one of dh's old golf jumpers, put a zip in the front, and wear it constantly.