Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   reducing picture sizes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/reducing-picture-sizes-t231367.html)

IBQUILTIN 09-29-2013 10:54 AM

reducing picture sizes

I have tried all the rules, and I have tried all the directions on my camera, and all my pics are coming out HUGE, way too big for the board, does anyone know how to teach a technical dummy how to reduce them? Thanx in advance

Tartan 09-29-2013 01:07 PM

​I would be no help at all. I can only post from my iPad.

nativetexan 09-29-2013 01:13 PM

I load my pics from my camera onto my computer. then open them in Paint and resize 50% down and then 50% down again. then maybe down to 75% if I want to email them. that gets them just below 150kg's or mg's . What ever it is. Pics from Iphones never show up correctly in here. upside down or sideways. Good luck.

Scissor Queen 09-29-2013 02:11 PM

I downloaded irfanview years ago. You just open the program, open the picture and then click on "image" along the top and in the drop down click "resize." When the box opens up it'll give you options for pixels x pixels and I click either the smallest or next to smallest and then okay and it's done. Then you will save it. It is even simpler than Paint to use.

juliea9967 09-30-2013 03:09 AM

See if you have Microsoft Office Picture Manager on your computer. I think it came with my new computer running Windows 7, and it is on the computers at work, and they are still on Windows XP. All you have to do is open the picture in the Picture Manager and then click Edit Picture. You then have the options of Resize or Compress. I always use Compress. Then there are 4 options available. One is for Web Pages, and another one is for Email. I use whatever one I am going to use the picture for. It does a fantastic job - and is so easy!

cherrio 09-30-2013 04:58 AM

not having any luck with pics either. I browse and find them on the puter but it never inserts them. sigh. this is a challenge. lol

AZ Jane 09-30-2013 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6320813)
I load my pics from my camera onto my computer. then open them in Paint and resize 50% down and then 50% down again. then maybe down to 75% if I want to email them. that gets them just below 150kg's or mg's . What ever it is. Pics from Iphones never show up correctly in here. upside down or sideways. Good luck.

I have Paint also. But I automatically downsize once at 50% when I download to my computer. It's easier to remember if you do it every time. One reduction seems to be enough unless I am e-mailing a picture.

Peckish 09-30-2013 08:03 AM

Don't downsize them from your camera. Downsize them with software. The camera is designed to get the best, sharpest image possible, which means large file sizes. You WANT this for pictures you take of family, activities, holidays, memories, etc. because you will get the best possible prints. However, any time you want to post a picture anywhere on the internet,whether it's here or Facebook, the file needs to be 1 mb (1000 kb) or less. So resizing with software is your best bet. The ones listed above should work. I use Photoshop, which allows me to do other things besides resize, but it's not free.

IBQUILTIN 09-30-2013 11:16 AM

Thank you all. I think I will see if I have the Office picture manager, My computer is new and has windows 8, so surely its on here I'll just have to hunt. So grateful for the advice from everybody

Stitchnripper 09-30-2013 02:15 PM

I don't know if you have a smart phone but I just discovered I can take a picture and email it to myself - I get a choice of small, medium, large, or actual size. I pick small. Then when I upload from my computer is is small enough.