Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   remember my hosta questions?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/remember-my-hosta-questions-t133412.html)

hobbykat1955 06-27-2011 04:17 AM

Told you can't kill them...

noveltyjunkie 06-27-2011 04:19 AM

Look great! I don't grow them now because in the past they have been devoured by snails- have you had that problem at all?

bluteddi 06-27-2011 06:35 AM

I love my hostas.... I've had no problems with snails...

They harbor the baby bunnies in the summer that tend to eat my lettuce and astors.....

happynana 06-27-2011 06:48 AM

I have never had trouble with snails. But sometimes the bird population in my yard decides that it wants salad before the main course. So hence all the little puncture holes in the leaves.

julia58 06-27-2011 07:27 AM

They have made a excellent come back. And are looking beautiful.

Ramona Byrd 06-27-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
Look great! I don't grow them now because in the past they have been devoured by snails- have you had that problem at all?

-------------------------------------
My problem with snails is that while they don't eat them, they love to live in my New Zealand Flax, and the mass of Agapanthus (False Lily of the Nile). When I water late in the evening they come out and play in the water, all over sidewalks and porch steps. I used to pay the kids a penny each for them, now I pick most of them for my turtles. They love them but have to stay out back in the fenced yard.
Here Hostas are strongly shade plants because of the savage summer sun we have here in the central valley of California.

retrogirl02 06-27-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
oh.. those are plants! I made a whoopsie. When we moved into the house we're in now, those plants were all over the front lawn, I thought they were weeds and I pulled them all. :(

Jennifer, I have a friend that thought she could get rid of a bunch by running a riding mower over them. She had gorgeous, huge hostas and was shocked to see them back the very next spring. I brought my family over for a digging party and moved a bunch to my yard {where they have never had another run in with the lawn mower!}. They spread by root and must be dug up for the most part unless soil & sun make regrowth very difficult.

Jamiestitcher62 06-27-2011 09:16 AM

I was wondering why my garden is full of snails. I thought it was because it was wet, not because my garden is loaded with Hostas.

Thanks for the info.

nwm50 06-27-2011 09:21 AM

They sure do love your yard and they're all gorgeous!

retrogirl02 06-27-2011 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62

I was wondering why my garden is full of snails. I thought it was because it was wet, not because my garden is loaded with Hostas.

Thanks for the info.

Snails & slugs are drawn to shady, damp areas. It may not be your hostas, though they enjoy the same conditions.