Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Remembering our old-fashioned motherhood days... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/remembering-our-old-fashioned-motherhood-days-t321869.html)

Endora 12-03-2023 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb (Post 8626332)
WOW!! So much work - but, such fond, warm and loving memories When I was really little, a show on tv was called 'I remember Mama'. I really loved that show, and these posts make me feel like I'm in a movie.

Awww... just love your post!

So right you are, it sort of gives me the same feeling.

bearisgray 12-03-2023 08:27 AM

Would I trade my automatic washer and dryer for the wringer washing machine that was in the basement and hanging up the laundry on a clothesline at this time in my life? Especially in the Minnesota winters?

No. It is very nice to be able to dry laundry no matter what the weather is like outside.

But I do realize that I am not getting the same amount of exercise now that I did way back when.

Although I do - usually - line dry most of our laundry when we are in Florida. But that is because we do not have a dryer there.

My MIL still hung laundry outside during the winter until she was in her 80's. She was a tough (but nice) woman.

Endora 12-03-2023 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8626499)
Would I trade my automatic washer and dryer for the wringer washing machine that was in the basement and hanging up the laundry on a clothesline at this time in my life? Especially in the Minnesota winters?

No. It is very nice to be able to dry laundry no matter what the weather is like outside.

But I do realize that I am not getting the same amount of exercise now that I did way back when.

Although I do - usually - line dry most of our laundry when we are in Florida. But that is because we do not have a dryer there.

My MIL still hung laundry outside during the winter until she was in her 80's. She was a tough (but nice) woman.

My mom loved her old wringer washing machine, though I do remember when she got her first electric automatic washer, she was thrilled, because she had two little ones in diapers at the time, and washing diapers in her electric automatic washing machine was never easier, but mom always swore that nothing got diapers cleaner than an old-fashioned wringer washing machine.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you, down the basement stairs on laundry day, back up the stairs with a full laundry basket, out the back porch door to hang all out on the line, then back outside later in the day or in the evening to take all down... good exercise and I know it makes mee feel more alive when I hang washing the old-fashioned way. Love the look and smell!

But, biy, it it ever nice having my electric tumble dryer over the course of the colder winter months... not having to contend with hanging on the line in freezing temps.