Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   removing Blood Stain from a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/removing-blood-stain-quilt-t302056.html)

Mariah 01-06-2019 10:22 AM

removing Blood Stain from a quilt

Does anyone have a sure-fire way to remove Blood Stain from an antique quilt? If so, please share.
Thanks, Mariah

Kassaundra 01-06-2019 10:44 AM

If it hasn't been dried in a dryer hydrogen peroxide removes blood. I am a paramedic and we use it all the time.

cashs_mom 01-06-2019 11:04 AM

I've always used my mother's way to remove a blood stain. It's not the fastest way but does no harm to the fabric. Soak in cold water overnight (or as long as it takes). After soaking over night, I rub the fabric together over the stain and it usually comes right out. If not, I repeat the process until it does. This works best if the fabric has not been washed and dried. And use No warm or hot water.

Then I spray with a bit of Biz or Oxyclean stain remover just in case and wash in cold water.

osewme 01-06-2019 11:35 AM

If it is your blood on the quilt, I've heard that your saliva will get it out. But it has to be your blood & your saliva. Otherwise, I've always soaked the item in cold water before doing anything else. This will get out most of the stain & then follow Cashs_mom above for finishing.

Tothill 01-06-2019 01:38 PM

I am in the cold water camp. I use cold water and Ivory soap (the bar). Soap in cold water and then on a hard flat surface rub it with the Ivory soap. I generally use my fingernails (If I know whose blood it is), or a old plastic card, such as a credit card and rub back and forth. I have used this technique for years and it works. It works well for period leaks too.

If the fabrics cannot take scrubbing, then I would check with your local museum about the best way to remove the stain without damaging the fabric.

joyce blint 01-06-2019 04:48 PM

I have used my saliva to remove my blood from sticking my finger. It works!

JustAbitCrazy 01-07-2019 02:07 AM

I worked in healthcare and in blood all the time, had it splashed on my scrubs all the time---cold water soaking and rubbing without soap or heat until it comes out. Heat (water or clothes dryer) or soap will set the stain.

pahega 01-07-2019 04:49 AM

Retro Clean does a great job of getting all kinds of stains out for vintage items. It worked for me. Keep the quilt submerged under the solution and put out in the sun for 48 hours if you can in a large tote.

luvstoquilt 01-07-2019 05:19 AM

Someone on this board recommended “Awesome” available at Dollar Tree. It worked for me on a quilt I bought at an estate sale. For my own blood saliva works.

fivepaws 01-07-2019 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by joyce blint (Post 8188038)
I have used my saliva to remove my blood from sticking my finger. It works!

This works wonderfully well on a small area. I use it quite frequently. Course it has to be your blood and your saliva.