Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Researching types of air conditioning systems - what do you have? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/researching-types-air-conditioning-systems-what-do-you-have-t246580.html)

Scrappy Gram 05-10-2014 08:47 AM

Researching types of air conditioning systems - what do you have?

We would like to install A/C in our home and are researching standard ducted sytems, mini splits and high velocity ones like Unico and SpacePak.

Anyone have one of these who would like to give pros and cons of high velocity? Cost, noise level, cooling efficiency...

Thanks,
Deb

sweet 05-10-2014 10:09 AM

All I can add is that I have a split system for AC only in my sewing area and it's great! It cools the entire room and has been wonderful. We put it in about 6 years ago when they were almost unheard of and not much of a selection. Now they have gained popularity and a good selection is available. My regrets about the system are that we should have bought the unit that supports 2 inside AC's and should have got one that heats too.

Jingle 05-10-2014 04:57 PM

We have regular central air. I have a room window unit in my sewing room and a ceiling fan. Very comfortable for us.

NJ Quilter 05-10-2014 07:19 PM

Not sure of the terminology of the systems you mention. We have gas-fired, hot water baseboard heat with a separate central AC system. Must say, I'm very happy with it. We looked at the wall/ceiling mounted separate systems prior to doing the central at the time (@ 15 yrs ago) and decided it was worth the extra $$ (and not by much) to go the route we did. Have AC in every room except dining room. Works well for us and seems to be quite efficient.

Scrappy Gram 05-11-2014 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 6711928)
Not sure of the terminology of the systems you mention. We have gas-fired, hot water baseboard heat with a separate central AC system. Must say, I'm very happy with it. We looked at the wall/ceiling mounted separate systems prior to doing the central at the time (@ 15 yrs ago) and decided it was worth the extra $$ (and not by much) to go the route we did. Have AC in every room except dining room. Works well for us and seems to be quite efficient.

Do you have outlets in the ceiling or floor of each room? Large runs of metal ductwork down cellar or small ducting in the attic?

Debbie

Joset 05-11-2014 04:17 AM

i have central air. but people i know that have the wall units really like them .

coopah 05-11-2014 04:28 AM

We have a standard ducted system and it's fine. No idea what these other systems are, but enjoy your research and decision making process.

maviskw 05-11-2014 05:10 AM

We put in Geo-thermal in 2011. It heats and cools and is great. My husband estimated that it cost us $50.00 a month to heat this huge farm house this past winter; in the middle of Wisconsin. The house is well insulated and we have very large south and east-facing windows which bring in a lot of sunshine. That helps.
The Geo-thermal takes about a half acre of land (or you can go straight down, like a well), and cost us about the same price as a new car. At our age, we will probably not get the full return on this, but we like saving the earth.

muskratwine 05-11-2014 10:41 AM

You don't say where you live - that can make a difference. I've been married to an A/C guy for 42 years. We live in south Florida and our house is zoned - meaning we have one A/C for our bedroom, one for the guest side of the house, one for the center main part of the house and I have a mini-split in my sewing room which is the top floor of the garage. Energy wise it's cheaper to only cool the part of the house we're using but I was able to get the units cheap!! Look into mini-splits - that's the ones that have an outdoor condensing unit and an inside part that hangs on the wall - no ducting needed. You can then only cool the areas you're using. They work very well and have come a long way since their inception. Good luck!!

madamekelly 05-11-2014 11:43 AM

I have a heat pump and love it! I spend $116 per month for heat and A/C to heat and cool a 1513 sq. ft. 3 bedroom home. This is my test of a good system. "What is it going to cost me monthly?" I keep my home at 68 degrees all year long, so you may have to adjust for your own comfort. No hot spots or cold spots either. I will say that switching to Florescent lighting made a one third drop in my energy consumption.