Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Retayne ... health risk? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/retayne-health-risk-t241828.html)

rubyjj 02-23-2014 02:17 PM

Retayne ... health risk?

Hi all. I'm new as of today, and glad to discover this site. I have sewn my grand-daughter a red corduroy dress with a yellow and grey elephant applique. Aaaarrrrghhh, I didn't wash the red corduroy first! Now, I've discovered retayne and purchased it, but I'm wondering whether the dress will be safe for grand-daughter (age 2) to wear?

tessagin 02-23-2014 02:35 PM

Go ahead and Google Retayne. REtayne should be used as a pre-wash. Synthrapol is for quilts after construction. I did not see any health risks when I googled Retayne. I always pre-wash in hot water any fabric I purchase and I use color catchers. Any one can have an allergic reaction to anything. I've not read anywhere of anyone having an allergic reaction. If a product has fragrances or dyes, I can't and won't use it. I hate shopping because of this. And I am always sneezing and coughing in the fabric stores. That is another reason I try to really plan my time in any store.

patricej 02-24-2014 02:31 AM

i have used retayne several times.
as long as you follow the manufacturer's instructions on the bottle you'll be just fine.
it washes out, so no worries there, either.
if a person has any doubts about that, just launder the treated item an extra time or two before giving it to somebody else.

ckcowl 02-24-2014 02:38 AM

retayne is not going to do you any good at this point- it is a (prewash) agent used to help set hand dyed fabrics- what you need it color catchers (bought in the grocery store in the laundry area- look like dryer sheets) or synthropol which is a laundery additive which keeps fugitive dyes suspended in the water- keeps them from getting on other fabrics in the water.
either product is fine to use on fabrics used to make clothing or bedding. you do need to follow the instructions for them to work correctly. but if you use the retayne now and the red bleeds it will help it (adhere) to the appliques- not keep that from happening---that's the synthropol's function.

PaperPrincess 02-24-2014 05:07 AM

At this point, you can't pre-treat any more. I would get a box of color catchers and some Synthrapol. Wash the garment in the highest water level your washer has. Also, wash it alone! Pass the color catchers along when you gift the dress.

Prism99 02-24-2014 07:46 AM

Are you sure the red corduroy is going to bleed?

I would test a fabric scrap first. Drop a piece into a glass of water and watch it for 24 hours to see if any dye bleeds into the water. While it is damp, rub it against white or light-colored fabric to see of any dye "crocks". If it passes both these tests, I would still wash it in Synthrapol with color catchers but would use a short cold water wash instead of hot water. Synthrapol is a soap so there shouldn't be any toxic side effects from it. The important thing for the first wash (whether you use Synthrapol or not) is to use ***lots*** of water so any bleeds become very diluted.

And yes, the other posters are correct. At this point you would use Synthrapol, not Retayne. Synthrapol suspends loose dye particles in the water so they wouldn't settle into the elephant applique and discolor it.

ArchaicArcane 02-24-2014 11:10 AM

RubyJJ, I don't know where you're located, but some non-US countries don't have Shout color Catchers. For instance, they were pulled out of Canada by the manufacturer for some reason. I think we can get the Dr Beckams (Beckmanns?) here though. I have friends bring them back for me when they go to the States.

Learner747 02-24-2014 01:14 PM

I use Color Catcher.

craftygater 02-25-2014 05:40 AM

If you can't find any in the grocery you can also make your own color catchers. I saw a formula on line a while back. Just google homemade color catchers. Alot of links will come up.

Onebyone 02-25-2014 07:24 AM

White untreated organic fabric is the best color catcher. I find the untreated organic white cotton wash cloths at Tuesday Morning store to use for a color catcher. When they gets dark with color I bleach them and reuse. It's amazing how gray a bright white one will get in a load of laundry.