Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Retired---What Is Your Day Like? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/retired-what-your-day-like-t236432.html)

EllieGirl 12-10-2013 05:06 AM

Retired---What Is Your Day Like?

I'm just curious how other retired people spend their days. I get up early, 5:30 or so, just out of habit. I spend about 30 minutes in prayer, then turn on TV and watch news. I love the Today Show and watch that every morning. After a while I do get up and start working on my quilting project for a couple of hours. I don't do any type of volunteer work outside the home. I spent my first two years of retirement babysitting grandchildren, so I'm enjoying my time to myself! Usually I throw in some type of exercise such as walking 2-3 miles, strength training, but right now I'm laid up with a disc problem.

My neighbor retired from teaching, as I did, last May. She went out right away and got a job working in the cheese department in out local grocery store! She couldn't stand being home!

donnajean 12-10-2013 05:13 AM

I retired from teaching in 1996. Honestly, I don't know how I had time to work as the time flies by so fast. I still get up around 5:00-5:30 as I did that for 30 yrs. teaching. When I 1st retired I did a lot of quilting, but learned that I have to keep moving to feel better & not gain weight. My yard is my gym & I even help a couple neighbors. I love how things look as something is blooming from early Spring till Fall. This week will be snow shoveling. It is coming down at 1-2" an hour right now.

janRN 12-10-2013 05:19 AM

I absolutely love being home!! If I could do all my shopping on line I'd never leave LOL. After 43 years as a nurse I was totally burnt out. I only work one day a week now and I'm thinking that after the first of the year I'll stop doing that, thankfully don't need that little bit of income. Unlike you, I do NOT get up at 5:30--I did that for tooooooo long! Now my day starts at 7:30 with tea and a nice long time reading the newspaper ( which I never got to do).

I usually do some laundry, cleaning up, run errands and hit the Bat Cave (my sewing room) by 11am. I sew almost everyday. Usually quit and watch Days of Our Lives at 3pm, finish up in sewing room and start dinner around 5. I use my crockpot 2-3 times per week so I don't have to spend a lot of time cooking. MrJanRn works from home but we only see each other at dinner LOL--after all the years he traveled I had to get used to him being home.

I have friends ask me if I miss being around people-----uh, NO!! Sounds like you & I are blessed to be able to retire and enjoy our lives.

NJ Quilter 12-10-2013 05:47 AM

Not retired, per se, but have not been working outside the home for several years now. Get up by 6AM most days. Newspapers here are useless so get my news fix online with coffee. Weather channel on for background noise. Read QB. Then it's usually household paperwork, errands, picking up the house, etc. Work on crafty projects as the need/time are available. Simply depends on how I like to spend my day.

BellaBoo 12-10-2013 06:03 AM

Right now I'm keeping my baby grandson during the day so my schedule has changed. I take my grandson to all kid friendly activities for toddlers at the library, zoo, art center, where ever. I have a back up sitter to keep him when I have guild or community groups or shopping trips with guild buddies. Before I started keeping him I was rarely home during the day, too much to do and enjoy. I can stay home when I can't drive or get around anymore.

Rose Marie 12-10-2013 06:11 AM

I have no idea what today will bring. No plans. Outside is to cold so will be indoors. The sunrise outside is a deep red, beautiful, behind the pines.
Havnt done any quilting lately just reading.
Shopping for Christmas and baking for the last couple of weeks.
When I get cabin fever I head for town to shop.

Central Ohio Quilter 12-10-2013 07:35 AM

We both retired about a year and a half ago. When I retired I was planning on getting some kind of part time job, but then I had the opportunity to take care of our 2 year old granddaughter 4 days a week, and doing that is so much better than any other job I could be doing. I LOVE having that little girl in my life and love that I am able to make a difference in her life.

I also spend several hours each day in my sewing room. When GD is here, she will play in the room with me, often pulling all the scraps out of my scrap basket and play with them while I sew.

GD comes about 9 AM until about 5 pm, so I still have evenings and 3 days a week to myself. DH keeps himself busy puttering in his barn every day. He also loves having GD here.

We are loving retirement!

MissM 12-10-2013 08:10 AM

I just retired in August but DH has been retired since 2005. We sold our home in TN and moved back to KS to be near family. Since that time we have been busy making the new house ours and unpacking. Just don't do that as fast as we once used to do and we have a lot of stuff :) Still working on organizing my new quilting room. We make no plans, just do what we feel like doing each day. Probably why it is taking us so long to unpack. I have inserted a few quilting days in there as well; particularly when we both need some down time. Since the holidays are almost here and our sons are coming to visit, we have stepped it up a bit and we are almost done now. Plan to spend the rest of the winter with no agenda; quilt when I feel like it and in the spring will work in the yard. Made a new friend that lives two blocks from me that also quilts and I did spend one day with her quilting. I expect there will also be more of those after the holidays are over. So far retirement agrees with me.:thumbup:

Jackie Spencer 12-10-2013 08:29 AM

I retired 5 years ago, and I am loving it. I get up about 7, drink coffee while watching the weather channel, do whatever cleaning ( like a clean house) and laundry needs done, then head to my sewing room. I also belong to 2 quilting groups ( not guilds) I have more time to spend with my daughters, too. I spend anywhere from 4 to 8 hours in my sewing room daily. Have never been bored in my life, been quilting since the mid 70's and loved every minute of it. Never enough hours in the day..

francie yuhas 12-10-2013 08:34 AM

I get up when I wake up...no alarm clocks. The DH and I read,drink coffee,and visit a while. I do a little cleaning,laundry ,puttering until late morning...then it's on to the day of sewing. I haven't volunteered,as I'm too unreliable,and I just enjoy looking after the DH and my house. I make charity quilts as my rent payment for being on the planet. I take a little nap after lunch,and go to bed when I'm tired. I was a rural physician for years...I'm catching upon all I missed when I put in those long hours. I try not to feel guilty about not looking after all those patients.