Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Retreats and a Snoring Roommate or Bedmate (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/retreats-snoring-roommate-bedmate-t293192.html)

bearisgray 12-09-2017 01:25 PM

Retreats and a Snoring Roommate or Bedmate

I have been told that sometimes I snore. Sometimes to the point of making the rafters tremble. (I have yet to hear myself - but I'm waiting for DH to make a recording.)

So - when/if you go on a retreat or some event where you will be staying overnight with a group -

What do you do or prefer when it comes to sharing a room with a snorer?

I prefer to get a room by myself - even if it costs quite a bit more - because I know how annoying DH's snoring is at times.

jokir44 12-09-2017 01:38 PM

I like a room by myself and it has nothing to do with anyone snoring. If I want to wander around in my undies or have coffee at midnight I want to be able to do that. I want to leave my makeup out on the counter and my projects laid out on the other bed. Sounds like I'm a bit of a diva but really not.

glassbird 12-09-2017 02:03 PM

Have you tried melatonin? It's a natural sleep aid, but it might help with the snoring. My mother was a snorer, but when she and I were on a trip together to Italy we discovered that if she took some of my melatonin, she did not snore that night....and we both were able to get some sleep!

Just be aware that the pills come in different doses...3 mg., 5 mg., and 10 mg. (Maybe other sizes as well, but those three strengths are the ones that I see most commonly.) If you choose to try this, you will need to experiment with different doses. My mother used 10 mg. routinely once we made this discovery, but 3 mg. is all I ever needed to get to sleep in a timely manner and wake up the next day feeling right.

I accidentally took one of her 10 mg. tablets once. I slept fine, but felt a little out of it the next day.

sewbizgirl 12-09-2017 02:25 PM

I don't like to share a room. If you have to, wear earplugs! Women can snore just as loud and long as men.

LenaBeena 12-09-2017 02:36 PM

My friend snored terribly and was always tired. Then a sleep study found sleep appena and now a C-Pap machine helps greatly. Just a thought you might want to check with your physician.

KalamaQuilts 12-09-2017 02:45 PM

I've never gone on retreat, although that was the first thing I was going to do when I retired :( I've seen at least 10 offered a around here since then but all are double rooms, the one yesterday has two bunk beds! I've had insomnia since I was 10-11 years old and I do a lot of kookie things to manage some sleep.

I can dream of taking part in one though :)

Jeanne S 12-09-2017 02:59 PM

I am a light sleeper and prefer my own room because a roomie’s snoring would keep me awake. I will gladly pay the extra cost.

Ginaky 12-09-2017 03:51 PM

I never mind paying extra so I can have a room to myself. I snore (don't know how bad), but I can't sleep if someone else is snoring. And I truly prefer my privacy!

Anniedeb 12-09-2017 03:57 PM

I haven't done any retreats, but traveled extensively while working. They always booked us double. I didn't mind if someone snored. I could sleep through it. They had to get used to my leg waving in the air. Since I was a child I sleep completely covered, as in covers over my head. I sleep on my stomach, and must have my left leg outside the covers, knee bent and foot up in air!!

roguequilter 12-09-2017 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jokir44 (Post 7959427)
I like a room by myself and it has nothing to do with anyone snoring. If I want to wander around in my undies or have coffee at midnight I want to be able to do that. I want to leave my makeup out on the counter and my projects laid out on the other bed. Sounds like I'm a bit of a diva but really not.

no, not really. i feel the same way :)