Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Rib Knit Fabric for collars for Bereavement Gowns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rib-knit-fabric-collars-bereavement-gowns-t250671.html)

sval 07-24-2014 05:20 AM

Rib Knit Fabric for collars for Bereavement Gowns

This isn't a quilting item, but all the gals on here seem to know where to get everything. I just recently agreed to make Bereavement Gowns for the hospital. The easiest and nicest looking neckline is to use Rib Knit for cuffs and collars. But I am having trouble finding it at the local fabric stores. I've found some online, but of course there's the shipping, unless I find lots of other things to buy.
Anyone know of a good source?

GagaSmith 07-24-2014 08:28 AM

If you are near a JoAnns they carry it. If not, they sometimes have free shipping if you keep your eyes open.

willferg 07-24-2014 09:02 AM

I have a fairly big piece that is cream colored. I thought about using it as a back for a baby blanket but was concerned about it stretching. If you pm me your email address I can send you a pic, and if you like it it's yours for the postage!

sval 07-24-2014 09:48 AM

Thanks. I'll check at Jo ann's the next time I'm near there. It's about a half an hour from here. But I get there from time to time. I found some online but it was going to cost more to ship it than the actual item. I buy a lot of quilting items online, but not the same kind of store.

lclang 07-25-2014 04:27 AM

Check the t-shirt knits. If they have lots of stretch, they can be used as well as regular ribbing.

dd 07-25-2014 04:48 AM

I have used the t-shirt knit for ribbing. I have also found it at Walmart, if your Walmart carries fabrics.

quilt1950 07-25-2014 04:57 AM

Do these open all the way down the front or back? If so, you don't really need the rib knit, as it doesn't need to have that much stretch. Regular t-shirt knit will work, or even bias binding, but I have problems getting bias binding to look nice.

sval 07-25-2014 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 (Post 6816723)
Do these open all the way down the front or back? If so, you don't really need the rib knit, as it doesn't need to have that much stretch. Regular t-shirt knit will work, or even bias binding, but I have problems getting bias binding to look nice.

Yes, they do open all the way down the back. So, no, don't really need to be stretchy. I just haven't found anything to bind the neck edge with that looks good. The prepackaged bias binding is so rough looking. I cut some bias of the same fabric yesterday that I am going to try and leave tails to tie. But then wasn't sure what to do with the tail as it extends beyond the neck edge. And certainly don't want a knot at the end.

Unfortunately no instructions came with the paper pattern. So am basically winging it.

quilt1950 07-25-2014 05:49 AM

I just finished off the binding at the neck edge, just like you would if you were using rib knit. I didn't leave leave any tails to tie. I used small snaps to close the back.

sval 07-25-2014 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 (Post 6816801)
I just finished off the binding at the neck edge, just like you would if you were using rib knit. I didn't leave leave any tails to tie. I used small snaps to close the back.

Yes, small snaps would look better. Great idea. Thanks.