Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Riding horses (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/riding-horses-t129588.html)

Butterfli19 06-11-2011 02:24 AM

In chit-chat on therapy a couple of you mentioned you also ride horses. Are these your own or do you go somewhere to ride?

It just got me thinking and wondering if it's something I might like to try. Is there anything I should know beforehand? What type of place should I try and find?

quiltsillysandi 06-11-2011 03:00 AM

If you have never owned or ridden horses before, in my opinion, the most important thing is to find a reputable horse person/instructor/trainer, that is trustworthy and will have your best interests at heart...Having owned/ridden horses most of my life, it was probably the most rewarding/healing/therapeutic activity/sport/hobby, I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of.....and if nothing else, see if you can visit someone's barn, be around the horses, brush/groom them, ect...It's quite rewarding.....Good Luck.......

MyWifeMadeME 06-11-2011 03:27 AM

Riding can be a blast, but, safety first...

BluegrassGurl 06-11-2011 03:35 AM

We own a small horse farm in Kentucky.... for our pleasure... it is not a business. Check people/businesses out thoroughly before committing to "lessons". I recommend you ask them if you could visit and observe some of their lessons... and more importantly, ask the locals to get an idea of their reputation. The good ones will be known.

Riding is wonderful.... if the rider and horse are well-matched. Good luck!

coloradosky 06-11-2011 10:51 AM

I agree with all of the above. Horses are beautiful but it is not something you want to jump into. Definitely begin by finding someone that will let you get acquainted so you feel comfortable around them. Take lessons. Many of the instructors offer trail rides.

Tsanchez 06-11-2011 11:04 AM

I use to ride every weekend growing up. I have not had the pleasure of owning horses but there use to be riding stables (not any more due to the insurance they have to carry) near me that would let me ride. I knew the owners very well back then. Now, well before my surgery, I was volunteering at a horse rescue ranch. With them, even though you have experience, they still have you take riding lessons before they will let you ride them. For me, riding is very therapeutic. I have learned from a therapist that the motion of the horse can help my fibro along with the nerve damage in my lower back and even with my hip dysplasia and even my hip replacement. Check around your area to see if there is a rescue ranch near you to where you can get experience being around horses and the care for them. I think you will really enjoy being around these fabulous animals.

nativetexan 06-11-2011 11:20 AM

and find a place where you can ride safely. not on the streets!!

wanda lou 06-11-2011 11:25 AM

can I ask a question, why do owners blindfold horses?
Sorry just one of my crazy off topic questions.

Butterfli19 06-11-2011 12:41 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Not sure if I'll actually do it, but it's nice to know what to watch for.

drivingsusan 06-11-2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by wanda lou
can I ask a question, why do owners blindfold horses?
Sorry just one of my crazy off topic questions.

What I think you saw were really 'masks' to keep flies away from the horse's eyes, goggles sort of, with some kind of netting so that the horse can see.