Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Road Trip Barns with Quilt block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/road-trip-barns-quilt-block-t126994.html)

Suzi P 06-01-2011 07:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a small quilt trail in Gee's Bend--10 quilts mounted on posts. Each one is a replica of a Gee's Bend quilt. Here is one of them.

Originally Posted by TacoMama
I saw one the other day in Tenn and I think my hubby thought I was crazy when I started carrying on about it. I am in Alabama and haven't seen any here.

Suzi P 06-01-2011 07:46 AM

You can see a lot of photos on my blog americanquilttrail.blogspot.com

On Facebook, there are pictures from others' tours of the country

Barn Quilts and the American Quilt Trail is the Facebook page.

Did you take any pictures???????[/quote]

Suzi P 06-01-2011 07:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There are about 400 in the Western North Carolina area, which comprises about 10 counties. The largest number is in Yancey/Mitchell counties, where there are just over 200. Here is a photo of one of my favorites.

Originally Posted by oldmountaincrafts
I live in Iredell County, NC and fairly soon there will be a book/map printed with all the barn quilts in our county and from what the owner of one of our LQS told me there are over 500 just in our county which seems high, but I'm trusting her to know. There is one that someone has on their home that is on my route home from work and it's a grandma's basket and it's beautiful. She has it placed on the area above her garage door since they don't have a barn. From what I gather, this book/map will feature all the quilts on barns, homes, etc. Should be interesting!!!

I love the way that they replicated the fabric!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205084[/ATTACH]

bamamama 06-01-2011 07:53 AM

I would love to put one on my house and I have the perfect place for it but not sure if the "neighborhood association police" would like it or not. The rules don't say you can't do it!

Suzi P 06-01-2011 07:58 AM

There are actually three quilt trails in Michigan. Alcona County, Osceola County, and the Old Mission Peninsula.

Originally Posted by mayme
Michigan is getting started. Google Quilt Barns and you will get lots of hits.

Suzi P 06-01-2011 08:09 AM

You were probably kidding, but here is a great one--a crazy quilt--on a Fence in Kentucky:

http://americanquilttrail.blogspot.c...-kentucky.html

Originally Posted by cizzors
I'm thinking of putting one on my fence. Don't really want to drill into the stucco.

mjsylvstr 06-01-2011 08:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I haven't seen any barns in NJ but this is my home.......

Hubby made these "wooden" quilt blocks, two for me and one for our granddaughter, who just closed on her first home yesterday,
in Durham, NJ

this is on the front of our home
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205115[/ATTACH]

2nd. floor, side of the house
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205116[/ATTACH]

12"x12" welcome for her front door
[ATTACH=CONFIG]205117[/ATTACH]

lbaillie 06-01-2011 08:43 AM

unfortunately I was doing the drive and DH is not to quick with the camera! But I think he spoted about 1/2 before I did!!

Janet Espeleta 06-01-2011 08:56 AM

We have quite a few here in Mid-Missouri with more coming. One of my good friends is very involved with this project. Each yr she makes a quilt to sell tickets to that helps raise the funds to pay for these. I don't have a real barn, but I do have a barn shaped shed in my backyard so I'm thinking about putting one on there although no one would see it but me. I love the pics someone posted of their house with the quilt blocks on it.

farmersdaughter 06-01-2011 11:26 AM

While crossing Iowa on a family trip, we saw oodles of barn quilts. Neat! Of course, we had to stop at a quilt shop a long the way. I bought a new quilt book - - Every Barn Tells A Story. Have you seen it? Awesome book!! Lots of quilting projects. There's even an article about how the quilt barns started.