Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Robot Vacuums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/robot-vacuums-t285719.html)

pahega 02-02-2017 05:12 AM

Robot Vacuums

I have been thinking of getting a botvac. I think the most popular kind is the iRobot Roomba. My daughter has the Neato brand and truly loves it. I have wood floors with area rugs which she doesn't, and am wondering if anyone on this board has one, what kind, and what they think of them. Do they get stuck trying to go from wood floors to an area rug? What has been your experience with them and what kind do you have?

plainpat 02-02-2017 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by pahega (Post 7755201)
I have been thinking of getting a botvac. I think the most popular kind is the iRobot Roomba. My daughter has the Neato brand and truly loves it. I have wood floors with area rugs which she doesn't, and am wondering if anyone on this board has one, what kind, and what they think of them. Do they get stuck trying to go from wood floors to an area rug? What has been your experience with them and what kind do you have?

Will be watching this too.Thanks for starting the thread.

Eva Knight 02-02-2017 07:16 AM

I had one at one time. If the rugs have fringe on them the ro-bo vac will get tangled on it. Other than that it should not be a problem. I sure do miss mine. It died.

Sewnoma 02-02-2017 08:42 AM

I gave my Roomba away - one of my cats kept sleeping on it, and he'd step on the buttons and fire it up - it'd run loose in the house all day and finally run out of juice and it'd take me forever to find it! (Because of course it never died in plain view, always under some furniture in some back room you'd never expect it!)

I also had to clean it out constantly, often halfway through a cycle, because our lab/husky shed more than the little compartment could handle.

Both of those pets have passed away since, so I'm considering a new Roomba. Aside from those issues, I really liked my Roomba, and I know they've improved since I had mine - the waste compartment is larger and now they've got ones smart enough to park themselves back on the charger when it's running low on juice. It actually did a really good job on our laminate & tile floors, and usually had no trouble with our area rugs either. One rug with a curly corner would sometimes catch it, but rugs that lay properly flat were no trouble for it at all. It came with infrared "walls" that you could set up to confine it to a certain space. Pretty cool, if you ask me!

redstilettos 02-02-2017 09:41 AM

LOL Sewnoma.....I can picture a cat sleeping on it and stepping on the buttons!

scorpius 02-02-2017 09:57 AM

have a romba sitting in a box & never used it as you have to set up zones for it

dunster 02-02-2017 10:01 AM

I have a Neato and really like it. I have Pergo, tile, and area rugs and it does fine with all 3.

Bilben 02-02-2017 11:42 AM

I just received a roomba 620 recently and I love it. It does any kind of flooring. I used it right out of the box without setting up zones, but eventually I will read the instructions fully and set those zones up. I have a dog and a cat and it picked up the hair nicely, and also picked up the kitty litter (I have a new kitten so the litter was getting tossed out of the box constantly). It's pretty noisy, but I just turn it on when I leave the house or when I am in the sewing room.

nativetexan 02-02-2017 12:38 PM

Hmmm, would it follow my three cats around the house? Might be worth it.

mermaid 02-02-2017 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have7 Roombas...4 in use now mine all came with parking chargers...meaning when they are finished with the room, they return to the base to be recharged. Only one of mine has a clock/ calendar on board ...you set the days and the times that you want it to run. It comes w/ virtual wall scheduler that sets auto when you set the Roomba. I think it is
the 600 series, but I've had it several years. [ATTACH=CONFIG]567341[/ATTACH]It it talks. and tells you to clean, or object in the brushes. I had a 500 that son took it. The others are the 400 series and I have virtual wall and remote scheduler. These let you use the remote to set time & day, and you have to "aim" at the virtual wall also. I love my robots..I don't like replacing battery-- they are abt $25-30 at eBay, but a lot more at iRobot. Yes, rug fringe is a problem...I got rid of mine. They climb other rugs easily.