Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Rope/strip bowls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rope-strip-bowls-t256776.html)

MaryKatherine 11-14-2014 09:46 AM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO a gadget that wraps the cord? That IS SO tempting.
LOL Not enough hors in the day for everything.

mckwilter 11-14-2014 09:50 AM

Rather than wrapping the fabric around the clothesline, make a continuous strip of 1-1/4" fabric strips like you would make binding, joining the strips at a 45 degree angle, then fold the strip around the clothesline and sew as close to the strip as you can with your zipper foot (the same as if you were making piping). Trim the excess fabric as close to the stitching as you can without clipping the stitching, then make your bowls. You can make your bowls as plain or as scrappy as you like. Jane Hall teaches this method of bowlmaking, and I like it better than having to constantly straighten out the fabric strips as you wrap.

As for being a gadget freak, if they had a Gadgets' Anonymous, I would have to join. My #1 worst purchase was a set of rolling rulers. The demonstration on them was truly amazing, but I purchased them at the Quilt Festival in Houston 3 years ago, and have never used them. My #2 worst purchase was the Martelli binding system. I took it out of the box, read the instructions, watched the video, then put everything back in the box when I found out I'd have to buy an adapter to use the foot on my Bernina. The plan is to use one of my Featherweights as a dedicated binding machine if I ever get them all serviced.

Pennyhal 11-14-2014 10:05 AM

Yep. Lots of gadgets around here...if I could just find them.

ManiacQuilter2 11-14-2014 01:37 PM

I always ask myself do I need this or do I want this. If I really don't need it, I just turn and walk away. I live on a tight budget.

Lori S 11-14-2014 01:41 PM

I have been where you are on the gadget issue. I finally got my fill of "stuff" that is overrated or useful for only one project.

Geri B 11-14-2014 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6968713)
I always ask myself do I need this or do I want this. If I really don't need it, I just turn and walk away. I live on a tight budget.

I need to make a sign of that ..thank you.....

sandy l 11-15-2014 04:09 AM

Sitting here with my hand raised. I'm also a member of the "now why did I buy that ruler and/or gadget" group :)

SingerSewer 11-15-2014 01:25 PM

The biggest issue is at the time I don't just think I need it, I buy it! I am ordinarily someone who spends days and weeks before making a purchase unless it is quilting/sewing notion. Then I also have the embroidery machine that requires different notions. I think it is a disease and that makes me not responsible for my actions, maybe!

lfstamper 11-15-2014 05:58 PM

I could be wealthy for all the gadgets I have and do not even remember what they do...lol. It's the "what if I need it" that gets me everytime. I am better now in trying to decide if I will ever have time for something new. Just selling my stash for an upcoming move has been tough. Hope I can get to gadgets! You are not alone by any means.

lindaschipper 11-16-2014 06:31 AM

As for me, I purchase every quilting template if I'm going to use it or not. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to making enough quilts to use my 50 plus templates.