Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   RTW shirts and sleeve issues (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rtw-shirts-sleeve-issues-t226595.html)

PB from MN 07-26-2013 12:46 PM

RTW shirts and sleeve issues

I have a RTW t-shirt and a RTW button down shirt that I need to wear for an organization (embroidered logos) and the sleeve on the t-shirt is a cap sleeve, which looks horrendous on me. Any ideas for making the sleeve longer and a bit more flattering?

The woven button down shirt is too tight in the sleeve and I am wondering how to modify that also.

Sorry, cutting off the sleeves and having them sleeveless is not an option as I do not have attractive arms and I have to be outside in the sun all day. There are no other size options either.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PB from MN

Neesie 07-26-2013 01:48 PM

Is there any way you can get some matching fabric and replace the entire sleeve, with a longer one?

Tartan 07-26-2013 02:29 PM

I don't know where you live (might be too hot) but could you buy a long sleeve knit shirt to go under your cap sleeve one? What is the fabric of the shirt? I have seen some people cut cotton knit shirt sleeves into strips and put pony beads on them.

nativetexan 07-26-2013 04:06 PM

oh that is an idea, putting a longer sleeved t-shirt beneath the one with cap sleeves. just say you don't like the Sun.

mighty 07-26-2013 05:48 PM

I would layer it with either long sleeved or 3/4 length shirt under it.

irishrose 07-26-2013 06:56 PM

If you have access to a matching fabric, you can take out the under arm seam on the woven shirt and add a gusset. 2" wide at the sleeve hem if it's short sleeved, then slowly tapered to a point where it sets in the shirt. If the shirt is long sleeved, the it's 2" in the underarm area and tapered to a point on both ends. A similar gusset would add some ease to the cap sleeve - no length, but not so fitted.

Peckish 07-26-2013 09:41 PM

Are you able to get more than one of each shirt? I like the gusset idea, but if for some reason that doesn't work, maybe you could cut up an extra shirt to remake the sleeves.

Getting your own shirts embroidered might be an idea, although it might get expensive if you have to pay design and setup charges. If you can use the same embroidery company that your organization did, and just provide the shirts, maybe they'll charge you a nominal fee.

alleyoop1 07-27-2013 05:49 AM

How about removing the sleeves from the long sleeve shirt and using that fabric to make 4 short sleeves - 2 for each shirt.

piepatch 07-28-2013 03:08 AM

I would add a gusset to the sleeves of the button down shirt. The fabric doesn't have to be an exact match, just as close as you can get it. If you add the gusset to the underneath seam, it won't be noticed. As for the cap sleeve shirt, I would just get fabric and make new sleeves. If budget allows, you could buy an extra shirt and cut the sleeves from that.

Seaside gal 07-28-2013 08:09 AM

I would get a similar or coordinating long sleeve shirt (or fabric) and cut off the sleeves and add them to your shirt. That is what I do with my husband's softball league shirts to keep him from getting sunburned and not get overheated from two layers of shirts.