Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Rude Awakening (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rude-awakening-t68550.html)

Lady Shivesa 10-05-2010 07:02 PM

Bahahaha!! This made me crack up laughing and I promptly had to tell DH the story. ^_^ What a cutie, kids are hilarious.

But yes, that wouldn't be a very nice way to wake up. ;)

SharonAnne 10-05-2010 07:02 PM

What a visual!!! Too bad the camera wasn't handy. Just wait until she gets to be a teenager - the humanitarian in her will turn to eeks!! Gave me a smile - thanks for sharing.

cathyvv 10-05-2010 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by franie
We have probs off and on with mice too as I live by a big field and country. I have never experienced them before so it is all new to me. They can scare me half to death. Your story of the granddaughter made me chuckle. She wanted a pet.

And we scare them half to death!

cindyw 10-05-2010 07:24 PM

What a sweet story! (other than the mouse part)

champagnebubbles 10-05-2010 07:31 PM

Oh I would die I know I would LOL

CarrieAnne 10-05-2010 07:43 PM

LOL!!!!!!

mrspete 10-05-2010 07:51 PM

I'm a fat old lady. My home is old and it has a crawl space under it. I had this problem a few years ago and I crawled under there with a shoebox holding a hammer, nails and ends of cans. I'd taken several cans from my recycle box and cut the ends out and nailed them over places that looked like cracks in the old flooring. I have some carpet and some vinyl over hardwood, but at the edges where the quarter-round molding is, there are warps. My house is pretty tight and dry but there has been more settling. This house was built in 1947, so you'd think it had settled right much by now. But, there are things, like pile driving for new bridge supports not far away, jet planes with sonic booms that create vibrations that 'could' make settling. So, you might have to find the cracks, or put rubber boots around pipes and cables or whatever enters your home. They are sneaky little critters. The day I decided to crawl under my house, I'd taken the laundry basket to the bedroom and one jumped through the webbing in the basket and I snatched it and bashed his tiny little head. It was an instant reflex that made me sick. I never would have thought little old me a killer!! UGH i should have called the pest people.

I need some blessings, here.

Ruth

Favorite Fabrics 10-05-2010 08:00 PM

Mice can get through the smallest openings. In an old house... especially with a stone foundation... I don't think you can ever be mouse-free.

I have three "working" cats and while they get most of the varmints they don't get 'em all.

We have two small cupboards above our stove. I kept a box of raisin bran up there, and, being way up high, forgot about it. At one point we noticed a really bad odor coming from somewhere in the kitchen. Not the fridge. Well, it subsided after a while. Didn't think anything more about it. Several months later, I remembered the raisin bran and took the box down, to find it was empty except for a mouse carcass. That was the smell!

Oh, and there's nothing quite like the feeling you get while walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and stepping on something small and soft and squishy. Yup. An offering of dead mouse.

Thank you, kitties, I *guess*...

dreamer2009 10-05-2010 08:21 PM

OMGOSH !!

raptureready 10-06-2010 03:46 AM

I grew up on a farm so I know what it's like to have mice.
In high school I used to have a friend stay over quite often. Since I only had a single bed and no guest room we'd pull the mattress off onto the floor. She never wanted to sleep on just the box springs so she'd take the mattress on the floor and I'd get the springs to sleep on--not at all comfortable. After the lights were out I'd gently scratch, scratch, scratch in the wall--little tiny scratches like a mouse nibbling. Finally she'd say, "I'm not sleeping on the floor if there's a mouse in this room. You get down here and I'll sleep on the springs." Being the good hostess that I was I'd always give into her and let her have the springs. LOL