Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Rumor Update (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/rumor-update-t20879.html)

kaykay 06-02-2009 10:22 AM

Our little guy is still struggling a bit more then wed like to see.

They are back on cam as we are keeping a close eye on Rumor. Hes narcoleptic (faints and sleeps too long) so we are watching to be sure he nurses enough. I do believe foaling at 317 days left this guy a little un baked so hes struggling a bit. Also its very hot here so we have a fan going in the stall and the top open.

If you see me waking him up and he falls over just know hes fainting and is okay but its important we wake him up and be sure he nurses. Flirt is much more aggressive then normal as I think she knows hes struggling a bit.

amma 06-02-2009 10:24 AM

Oh no Kay, that poor little guy!!! Is there anything that we can help watch for??? Every time I seen him he was sleeping but I thought he had just finished romping and eating... :(

kaykay 06-02-2009 10:26 AM

If you see him sleeping too long please email or call. Im going to try and get a nap as im exhausted but hubby is going to try and keep an eye on him. We let him and flirt outside for a bit today and it just wore him out. But poor flirt was going stall crazy.

I do think that he will keep improving but we need to be sure he wakes up periodically and nurses. And that he runs and plays. Since hes a bit premature he wont play as much as a full term foal but should get up and run around a bit

Shemjo 06-02-2009 10:26 AM

Praying that the little guy outgrows any problems. :lol:

amma 06-02-2009 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by kaykay
If you see him sleeping too long please email or call. Im going to try and get a nap as im exhausted but hubby is going to try and keep an eye on him. We let him and flirt outside for a bit today and it just wore him out. But poor flirt was going stall crazy.

I do think that he will keep improving but we need to be sure he wakes up periodically and nurses. And that he runs and plays. Since hes a bit premature he wont play as much as a full term foal but should get up and run around a bit

How long is too long Kay??

kaykay 06-02-2009 10:37 AM

He should nurse at least once per hour so any sleeping longer then 1 hour is not good. I suspect right now hes pretty worn out as that was the longest hes been up and playing. So this hour I will let him sleep a tad bit longer but am hoping he will get up by 315 (its 236 here now) and nurse.

Flirt has never been this aggressive before but like I said I think she knows somethings wrong. So you will see us be very careful when we go in.

kaykay 06-02-2009 10:44 AM

Yeah he just got up and nursed again! But not as long as I would like to see

amma 06-02-2009 10:56 AM

Hold still Flirt and let that boy nurse!!!

Quilt4u 06-02-2009 11:02 AM

Hopr every thing works out OK.

sandpat 06-02-2009 11:05 AM

Kay, I hadn't had much experience with preemies until we got cows. I've nursed several through to good health. Take the precautions necessary and watch closely for the first few weeks, but hopefully he is a strong one and he will make it....its amazing how quickly they can progress...I always think that the Mamas know...she will calm down some hopefully when she realize that you know there is something not quite right and that you are trying to help.