Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Safety Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/safety-advice-t32568.html)

Lneal 12-29-2009 10:36 AM

Does anyone have a safety tip they want to pass on to others? I learned a valuable one firsthand. Have a room in the house that has a door you can lock from the inside in case of an intruder. It will take longer to reach you, giving more time for help to arrive.

amma 12-29-2009 11:27 AM

That must have been terrifying!!! (((HUGS)))

Mine would be install and Use a peephole...don't answer if you don't recognize them!!! If you see or they say that they are hurt, call 911 and let them handle it... Too many are using tricks to get you to open the door!

Lneal 12-29-2009 11:55 AM

The intruder fled thankfully, however 2 weeks later actually did force entry to someone else. Fled again but was apprehended and spent some prison time. Calling 911 gave this advise and to never be forgotten. We installed several rooms with chain locks, high so young children cannot reach them. The trick he tried was to simply "knock" on the door. We live in the rural country.

mary quite contrary 12-29-2009 12:17 PM

So glad to hear you are OK and he was caught. How frightening!

Bobbinwinder 12-29-2009 06:21 PM

So thankful that you're okay. I received a very thought provoking email just the other day about self protection in the home. They recommended keeping cans of wasp/hornet spray where every person in the home knew and could get to and use should they ever be faced with an intruder. That spray has quite a range and will definitely extend the amount of time you'll have for your next move. Perhaps those of us who get lost in our own world while watchin' that needle go up and down should move further back into the room and be facing the door when we raise our heads...put a can within reach of your chair and remember to have a phone handy at all times. Of course, a 38 or a shotgun will work just as well for some of us...but, you have to be able to get to it to use it! We all need to take time to plan for a what if...it might save our life.
Thanks so much for bringin' this up...unpleasant as it is, it is truly a community service message.

janRN 12-29-2009 07:32 PM

In addition to keeping ourselves safe, the most valuable thing you can have is VISIBLE house numbers. I learned this when riding with paramedics-people call 911 but their house isn't clearly marked so valuable time is wasted hunting for the correct house.

Sandy1951 12-30-2009 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
In addition to keeping ourselves safe, the most valuable thing you can have is VISIBLE house numbers. I learned this when riding with paramedics-people call 911 but their house isn't clearly marked so valuable time is wasted hunting for the correct house.

Thanks for this reminder. Our house is clearly marked, but we're moving and I don't think the new house has numbers on it and I know the roadside mailbox doesn't.

Ineal, so glad that guy was caught and successfully prosecuted. That must have been very scary. I know I often lock the bathroom door when I'm taking a shower and alone in the house. Maybe it's just lingering fears from the movie "Psycho" :shock: , but I feel more comfortable knowing someone would have to knock the door open to get in when I can't hear because of the running water.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-chores036.gif

nativetexan 12-30-2009 03:11 PM

Mmmmmm, my Hubby sits all day with the front door unlocked. drives me nuts. but he's 20 yrs older than me and he waits for the mailman to bring in his mail. I work so am not home. it makes me cringe but he insists.

quilter68 12-31-2009 08:11 AM

to: Sandy1951

I am lol at the little bathtub guy. Love it!

Quilter68

topper1 12-31-2009 08:47 AM

i have one i recently heard about----------take car keys to bedroom with u at night that have the panic button on them. If u hear something outside or in your house hit and it will scare intruders away----------easy but profound I thought.