Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Saving the Woodpecker! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/saving-woodpecker-t219221.html)

Jingle 04-16-2013 04:14 AM

We have lots of woodpeckers in our yard. We have woods behind us and we feed all the birds that come around and throw out food for the squirrels too. I buy gormet bird seed year around and get lots of birds. Feed the finches and hummingbirds also. I spend almost as much money on birdseed as I do food for us. People can't believe the large numbers of birds we have. I buy food for the smaller birds too.
We have had birds fly into our windows too, none died, except a dove. I'm glad the woodpecker recovered.

sewmom 04-16-2013 05:23 AM

I have a relative that lives in the Ozarks and a few weeks ago she posted a picture of one of these beautiful woodpeckers that they managed to get a picture of. We have one that hangs around our house too. I had never seen one until about 4 years ago. I looked out my window and there it was on the tree. My camera was right there and I got a picture of it through the window. Haven't been close enough since. I'm glad you saved the one near you.

dd 04-16-2013 05:30 AM

We have a woodpecker who has adopted us for years. Not sure how long they live. Yesterday I looked out the window and a robin was hanging from his feet in the tree outside our bedroom window. My husband went out to get him and he was still alive. he cut the string and he flew off but had a broken leg. He was tangled in landscaping string. This was all through our tree and the red flags were still on it. He got that out of the tree too. Hope the little fellow is gonna be alright. At least he can fly.

pad's 04-16-2013 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter (Post 6004262)
We love watching the pileated woodpeckers! They are fabulous birds! Thank you folks for saving this one!

The original "Woody woodpecker".....have seen 4, heard many....they are beautiful

IshtarsMom 04-16-2013 08:16 AM

Thank all of you for your responses. It is so wonderful to be a part of a community that celebrates life and creativity. Although I don't post much I read for two hours each morning...Seems like the older I get the less I have to say..but you guys are easy to share with because of the positive and caring attitude.

My DH hands have been there over the 32 years we have been together, caring, loving, and giving back to nature all that he can. Up until the last few years we bought tons of bird seed and dog food for the raccoons, and adopted abandoned strays. We have learned so much from them. Once he spilled cat food juice on his socks then unthinking slipped on some sandals to just go out the back door for a minute. He was taking out dog food when one of his favorite raccoons went for his toe thinking it was food and he got a bad bite. Couldn't stand to round up the raccoon population so he chose the rabies shots which were no fun but much better than the old days....now with the rise in prices we can no longer afford to take care of any extra..I think we spend more on cat food than on our groceries. We are on a VA Disability Pension that has not kept up with inflation....LOL

Again thank you for reading and sharing. Cecelia

aronel 04-16-2013 01:29 PM

What a beautiful bird, your husband did a wonderful job! Thank you, from a nature lover!

sparkys_mom 04-17-2013 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love the pileated woodpecker. I hear them often but don't often see them. There used to be a big tree stump in the back of where I live and one day I got the opportunity to photograph one. I was thrilled. Sadly, someone decided to remove the stump. The woodpeckers love dead trees and stumps as they are a gold mine of things to eat.

Another day, I live in a condo, and there is a three story stairwell where birds often get trapped on the upper level. A neighbor knocked on my door because that was the case and she didn't know what to do. Well, I've rescued birds like that before. You need to throw a towel over them, scoop them up, and release them down the stairs. Except I'd always done it with little birds. This one was a Flicker - another woodpecker variety - and they are HUGE. I managed to get him to safety without getting either of us injured but I admit I was more than a little intimidated. No pictures this time! :D

My hat is off to your husband - that pileated is one big bird and could do a lot of damage if he wanted to.

sparkys_mom 04-17-2013 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by IshtarsMom (Post 6005532)
Thank all of you for your responses. It is so wonderful to be a part of a community that celebrates life and creativity. Although I don't post much I read for two hours each morning...Seems like the older I get the less I have to say..but you guys are easy to share with because of the positive and caring attitude.

My DH hands have been there over the 32 years we have been together, caring, loving, and giving back to nature all that he can. Up until the last few years we bought tons of bird seed and dog food for the raccoons, and adopted abandoned strays. We have learned so much from them. Once he spilled cat food juice on his socks then unthinking slipped on some sandals to just go out the back door for a minute. He was taking out dog food when one of his favorite raccoons went for his toe thinking it was food and he got a bad bite. Couldn't stand to round up the raccoon population so he chose the rabies shots which were no fun but much better than the old days....now with the rise in prices we can no longer afford to take care of any extra..I think we spend more on cat food than on our groceries. We are on a VA Disability Pension that has not kept up with inflation....LOL

Again thank you for reading and sharing. Cecelia

Wow! I would be afraid of raccoons. I'm glad he took the precaution of getting the rabies shots although I'm sure they were no fun!

cpcarolyn 04-17-2013 05:14 AM

Beautiful bird. Good for you for caring.

ziegamomma 04-17-2013 07:48 AM

Great story!