Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sayings that need to be amended - - - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sayings-need-amended-t189249.html)

patricej 05-20-2012 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna (Post 5226637)
I think it was said as a sarcastic remark in the first place. You must all be younger ladies.

not sarcasm ... humor.

ptquilts 05-20-2012 03:34 AM

When one door closes, another opens..... but sometimes it's miserable in the hallway!!

craftymatt2 05-20-2012 08:55 AM

LOL, who cares, there's worse things in life

Peckish 05-20-2012 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness (Post 5228379)
If you're unsewing, time should fly backwards.

Now THAT'S funny - and oh how I wish it were true!

Greenheron 05-21-2012 04:51 AM

My DD(addy) loved to give a twist to tired sayings.. My favorite was:

"On the other hand.........."(which people would follow with a long pause, he would interject) "She had warts!"

I guess you'd have to have been there.

katesnanna 05-21-2012 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5227473)
The majority of these sayings are from the 1800's and earlier. Some such as "Pride goes before a fall." is from the book of Proverbs. When you know what these meant when they were originated, then they do make good sense. If you eat all of your cake you cannot still have any left. If you make a poor job of stitching together your mattress and it is uncomfortable, you will still have to use it to sleep on. My grandmother's favorite was "Don't get your cart before your horse." Obviously meaning keeping your priorities in order. A stitch in time saves nine - could today mean keep up the small restorations on your vintage quilts so that you don't have a major restoration job in the future. Common sense hasn't gone out of style.

Tanya, you just took me back to second grade. A stitch in time saves nine was the first proverb I ever learned in Mrs. Curry"s class.

bearisgray 05-21-2012 09:32 AM

This thread was meant to entertain - - -

A couple more phrases - - -

"He's in a jam" - or "She's in a real pickle"

My 'jam' visual goes to - wonder what flavor? how'd he get in the jar? how sticky will he be when he gets out?

The pickle one starts out with - hmm - wonder if that's a cucumber dill pickle? How in the world would someone get INSIDE a pickle? Or is the person pickled?

Sometimes being literal minded can be entertaining - to myself, anyway.

By the way - I do know that the usual explanation/meaning - is that someone is in some sort of trouble or unpleasant predicament.

LynnVT 05-21-2012 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MaryMo (Post 5227380)
One that bothers me is: "There's always a tomorrow."
Some tomorrows never arrive ....

My mother used to say something about vanity, can't remember it (and probably don't want to), but it deflated me when she said it. She usually said it when I was proud of how I looked or something I did ... like I wasn't entitled to have pride ....

"Vanity did I ever offend thee? No, and I never intend to," My Nani used to say that when we were showing off.

icon17 05-21-2012 10:05 AM

Funny, But its not 'Get off the Pity Pot' Its ' P_ss or Get off the Pot ' A very old saying! LOL

icon17 05-21-2012 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1 (Post 5227157)
momisms: "time flies when you don't know what you're doing."

"he who laughs last just doesn't get it."

"people who live in glass houses should undress in the basement."

"he who laughs last is worth two in the bush."

"a rolling stone...moves."

"pretty is as pretty does, but stupid goes all the way to the bone."

okay. i'm not trying to make her sound unhinged--my mom just had a bit of a twist in her sense of humor...

I LOVE THE ONE "Pretty is as Pretty Does, But Stupid Goes All the way to the Bone!!' It was one OF many my Mother said to me! She Had Tons!