Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Scam alert1 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/scam-alert1-t287677.html)

LenaBeena 04-21-2017 01:10 PM

Scam alert1

:(:( Got a phone call today saying the IRS was going to arrest me and they needed my bank account, credit card and SS numbers! I hung up and called the police. They said they are targeting our area. Sadly some people believed their lies. Never, ever give info over the phone to phony scams. Beware of scams.

pojo 04-21-2017 01:23 PM

I got the same calls last year. I told them come and get me and support me with the stolen money they are trying to get and then I hung up on them.

Stitchnripper 04-21-2017 02:02 PM

I read today that since tax day is over, people can expect more of these scam calls.

cashs_mom 04-21-2017 02:14 PM

I got those calls a few years ago. They were sort of threatening and I can see how some people would fall for it. I never answered but I heard it on my voicemail. Never give info over the phone. The IRS doesn't work that way. They will send you a letter if there is a problem.

Cactus Stitchin 04-21-2017 02:16 PM

One time I got that call and when I them 'you're not from the IRS, this is a scam and I'm not going to be a victim today' they started swearing at me with words I cannot repeat. The latest here is getting a solitation call where they ask 'Can you hear me okay?' They record you when you say yes then use that recording to say you have agreed to purchase whatever item they are selling. A couple cases have made it to court and the victim lost as the scammer had a recording of them saying 'yes'.

LenaBeena 04-21-2017 02:43 PM

Friend replied: "Sure, come and get me, my address is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington D.C. Easy to find, big white house! :):p

popover 04-21-2017 03:05 PM

I just don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number. We have voicemail for a REASON

mermaid 04-21-2017 03:39 PM

There's another one going around. I've had a couple of calls lately..."hello".."Hello, we are returning your call requesting more info about the back brace you saw on television that is medicare approved.. Please press 1 to talk to our rep and arrange for shipping." I've seen the advertisement, but never called anyone--had no reason to. I just hang up.

nativetexan 04-21-2017 03:47 PM

now the tax people tell me I should include my email with my tax return so the IRS can contact me if necessary. This, after they have been telling us over and over the Government will never call or email anyone. not helping!!
oh my doctor's office or anyone else calls and the recordings ask me things and say "correct". So I say correct (not yes). confused them terribly. Not my fault!!

QuiltnLady1 04-21-2017 05:31 PM

Got a call today and they asked if this is ???. It was my name but I asked who is calling, then state your business. I hung up when they tried asking questions again. We don't even answer our landline anymore because every phone call is junk.