Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Scam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/scam-t279076.html)

Kimcatlou 05-31-2016 05:13 AM

Yes, I have received this call several times. Recently,I got a similar calls aying they were from Dell. The caller even had some information about my computer. This really scares me!

ptquilts 05-31-2016 05:38 AM

I think if the "IRS" told me they were going to send the police, I would say, "They are at my door right now - wanna talk to them?"

Sewnoma 05-31-2016 07:48 AM

I put my dog on the phone. If I put the phone on speakerphone, she'll make these "muttering" sounds that apparently pass for human. Kind of a "om ow ow?" sort of vocalization, sounds like a question. So I just put it on speakerphone and set the phone down on the floor, she'll lay down and listen very attentively to the voice on the other end, and if they're quiet too long she'll ask her questions to make them start talking again. :D

It doesn't work all that often though, she has to be in the right mood for it or she'll just walk away from the phone (a fine solution as well). I've tried to catch it on video but she sees the camera and goes quiet...I guess she's shy!

She likes to "talk" to drive-thru speakers too! It's gotten me into trouble when I pull up and they ask me to wait, my dog will start muttering at the speaker and I've had people get a bit snippy thinking I wasn't listening, lol. "I said just a moment!" "Sorry, that's my dog talking, she didn't understand..."

jojo47 05-31-2016 08:07 AM

I've really enjoyed reading all of these posts. We also get quite a few calls, and like the majority of you, if we don't recognize the phone number, or if "unknown number" comes up on caller ID, we don't answer. If they really want to talk to us, they can leave a message.

sulyle 05-31-2016 09:20 AM

We get those calls often. The last time my DH asked if the callers mother knew what he did for a living and was she ashamed of him? Click.

Mariah 05-31-2016 10:37 AM

I have had this call several times. Call the Federal Trade Commission--1-877-382-4357. They have ways of tracing these calls we don't have. There never is a phone no. they are calling from, but they-the FTC, call reach them. Try to give them the approximate time of the call. worked for us.
Mariah

MarleneC 05-31-2016 02:27 PM

I also get these calls and I also get calls form foreigners saying they are my nephew or grandson, etc. I hang up or don't answer.

maryellen2u 05-31-2016 07:34 PM

This is a true story. I have a 90 year old friend who does not have a computer. She told the caller this and they couldn't hang up fast enough! She really doesn't but I figured if it worked for her it ought to work for me! It's my story and I'm sticking by it!

Jan in VA 06-01-2016 10:36 AM

I've had only a cell for years and years and seem to never have these calls. But the stories here are so great that I've decided that if I ever do, I'm just gonna start talking in tongues to them! :p :D :D

Jan in VA

wendiq 06-01-2016 12:22 PM

Thank you to all that have responded. I now feel that I did the right thing in telling them to go fish and hung up!