Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Scraps for pet beds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/scraps-pet-beds-t305331.html)

bearisgray 06-20-2019 06:43 AM

Scraps for pet beds

What happens when a pet bed made of scraps becomes soiled?

How do these things wash up? I'm thinking it would become a horrible, wadded mass of fibers that would take "forever" to dry - if ever.

sewbizgirl 06-20-2019 06:52 AM

I would guess they'd probably be tossed at that point.

QuiltnNan 06-20-2019 08:00 AM

that would be my thought too.

KalamaQuilts 06-20-2019 03:15 PM

I worked at our shelter for four years. They are dumped.
As are the ones that come in with quilters weight cotton covers or pillowcases. The animals are anxiety filled and chew and claw and in a very short time there would be bits of fabric all over the place. Chewed and swallowed.
these gifts aren't a kindness. Take in old towels, they are treasured and washed until they are threads.

Elise1 06-20-2019 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8267964)
As are the ones that come in with quilters weight cotton covers or pillowcases. The animals are anxiety filled and chew and claw and in a very short time there would be bits of fabric all over the place. Chewed and swallowed.
these gifts aren't a kindness. Take in old towels, they are treasured and washed until they are threads.

Thanks for your response, this is what I always thought and the reason I have not sewed for shelters. I'll take in my old towels.
T

AZ Jane 06-21-2019 05:19 AM

I made one for my own dogs, easy to wash, nightmare to dry thoroughly, takes forever. Not work it.

toverly 06-21-2019 05:28 AM

Thank you for asking this, I have wondered what happens. It has always seemed risky to me.

elnan 06-21-2019 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8267964)

Thank you, I needed your answer. For me, it would be easier to buy towels at the thrift store and donate them. It is very rare that towels at my house get to the point where I want to toss them.

luvstoquilt 06-22-2019 03:48 AM

I stuffed a pillow for the basket Peach claimed as his own. I wash it often and dry it in the dryer. It comes out like new. I think the secret is not to stuff it to full. He likes to knead it. If it gets to ”ratty” I will make him another one.

rjwilder 06-25-2019 03:57 AM

I have found that most shelters won't take them because the animals tear them up and eat the fabric scraps. Go onto the shelters website, most have a list of what they would like for donations. I usually donate blankets, towels, food and money.