Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Screen doors in Texas.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/screen-doors-texas-t127017.html)

redkimba 05-31-2011 12:20 PM

I live in Texas, and I have a screen door. I don't really use it because when the temperature drops below 95 I feel a bit chilly... :P

EDIT - this is what I was trying to think of: We have all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, Still summer, and Christmas

watterstide 05-31-2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I live in Texas, and I have a screen door. I don't really use it because when the temperature drops below 95 I feel a bit chilly... :P

EDIT - this is what I was trying to think of: We have all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, Still summer, and Christmas

you go girl! LOL! so true!

cctx. 05-31-2011 01:17 PM

Because the AC runs 9-10 months out of the year.

nativetexan 05-31-2011 01:17 PM

you know, it's funny. i don't remember having a screen door on the front door but we had a screened porch on the back.
later when i was a teenager we moved and that home did have a screen door and no back porch.
i'm in colorado now and love to open my windows and lower the top of my storm door to let air in. and open the patio door which also has a screen. Now i do get pollen in the house like crazy and dust since it's so very dry here, but i must have some outdoor air!!

alikat110 05-31-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx
heat, heat, and more heat. Growing up in Texas we had screen doors, but we didn't have AC. Now AC and no screen doors. We have a storm door that has a panel that can raise if we want a breeze - don't use it. We also have a sliding patio door that has a screen - we do use that for a few days between the "winter" and summer. It was 80 degrees at 7 AM today. Heat, heat, heat. Humidity is another issue - depending where in TX you are. 90+ % humidity leaves things sticky and damp.

Yep. This says it all

carhop 05-31-2011 02:16 PM

I have an alarm system my neighbor has a large dog and no one can go to our front doors the dog goes crazy barking .

createfourpaws 05-31-2011 04:14 PM

I dont have a screen door but do have a storm door that has windows that I can raise the glass on. I also had the windows tinted to help cut down the heat in the house in the long hot summer months. My little chihuahua baby likes to lie in the sun in the afternoon.

I enjoy having the front door open.

mltquilt 05-31-2011 04:42 PM

It's just too hot in most of Texas during the summer for screen doors. Our airconditioner has alreay been running for a month off and on and now that summer has finially hit (90s most days and up to 97 later this week) a screen door is just not practical. I even keep the blinds closed most of the day due to hit though the windows.

mltquilt

dublb 05-31-2011 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by cctx.
Because the AC runs 9-10 months out of the year.

Your spot on!!
I personally love a screen door, & use it 2X a year early spring & late fall. Here in West TX we usually have a month of each every year.

lalaland 05-31-2011 05:25 PM

My son lives in TX, he has a glass storm door on his front door so that pretty much zeroes having a screen door. However, ALL his windows EXCEPT those in the family room have screens. He practically lives in the family room and there is a ceiling fan in there so if he opened his windows in the cool of the evening, he would have a nice cross breeze between the living room and family room BUT he has NO SCREENS in the family room. I'm stumped!