Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Security cameras and dash cams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/security-cameras-dash-cams-t315270.html)

Chasing Hawk 05-05-2021 09:28 AM

Security cameras and dash cams

We are looking into security camera and a dash cam.

Does anyone here either system or both? For the security camera around the house it doesn't matter if I have to use my phone or a computer monitor. We would prefer the monitor to view the cameras.

Which brand?
Ease of install and use
Do you record video for later viewing?
Does it need a subscription or can use without the added expense?
The dash cam which do you prefer? Front view only or front/interior and possibly a rear cam.

QuiltE 05-05-2021 09:32 AM

....and here I thought you'd be looking for a Nanny Cam for Layla and the Babes! :)

Chasing Hawk 05-05-2021 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8481487)
....and here I thought you'd be looking for a Nanny Cam for Layla and the Babes! :)

That is an idea....haha

QuiltE 05-05-2021 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 8481488)
That is an idea....haha

:D But as a doting Great Granny, will you ever leave their sides??? :D

NJ Quilter 05-06-2021 03:26 AM

I don't have either of which you are looking for but SIL just installed 'Ring' brand cameras at several locations at her house, as well as another friend. Both are extremely happy with the system. Notifications to their phones/smart watches. To the best of my knowledge there are no additional fees once the cameras are installed.

Fizzle 05-06-2021 04:17 AM

We have ARLO that we purchased at Costco. Happy with it

pocoellie 05-06-2021 04:54 AM

Sorry, don't have one and don't want one.

Onebyone 05-06-2021 05:05 AM

I don't think those help much for a theft. A guild member had several items stolen from her garage. The camera recorded it all, faces, and vehicle. The police took a report and they didn't watch the footage. She called several times and was told to use the report to turn into insurance.

osewme 05-06-2021 07:34 AM

I haven't really looked into any of the systems but seems to me like those doorbell cameras would be easy for a thief to just ease up to one & spray paint over it so it wouldn't video you. Seems like you would want your camera somewhere so it wasn't so obvious or easy to destroy.

janiebakes 05-06-2021 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8481697)
I don't think those help much for a theft. A guild member had several items stolen from her garage. The camera recorded it all, faces, and vehicle. The police took a report and they didn't watch the footage. She called several times and was told to use the report to turn into insurance.

That sounds more like a police problem than a camera issue. My sister is married to an often deployed Marine and lives out in the desert around 29 Palms. They bought a security camera system from Costco. She has it streaming 24/7 on a monitor. It gives her the ability to look around her house from the safety of her living room when something goes bump in the night. (or day for that matter)