Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Self Cleaning Oven (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/self-cleaning-oven-t290125.html)

NZquilter 08-02-2017 05:46 AM

Self Cleaning Oven

I've never used the self cleaning feature on my oven but I'm wondering if I should. I started a cycle once, but as I watched the temperatures climb up and over 500°, I got worried and turned it off. We are moving house in a couple of weeks so I'm going to give the oven a good clean before we leave. I generally use 'Oven Off' but I don't want to breathe the chemicals while I'm pregnant. Do you think its safe to used the self cleaning feature?

QuiltnNan 08-02-2017 05:51 AM

yes, self cleaning is terrific. if you want your shelves to stay shiny. you should clean them manually

Boston1954 08-02-2017 06:01 AM

My mother had one when I was a teenager and used it many times. If I can remember correctly, she said the temperature got to 800. It was great. After, she just had to wipe out the soot.

b.zang 08-02-2017 06:10 AM

I never use self-clean if I'm not home. However, open your windows for good ventilation because the burning off of residue will produce an odor. If you leave your racks in the oven, rub the edges with waxed paper afterwards to make them slide easily again.

KrissyD. 08-02-2017 06:17 AM

I use the self cleaning option all the time , A plus is if you have yucky cookie sheets , muffin pans or want to clean the grates on your stove or out side grill throw them in before you start & they come out REALLY clean

bearisgray 08-02-2017 06:34 AM

If you have spilled grease or oil or cheese reside on the bottom of your oven - wipe most of that off/up before starting the cleaning cycle. (Ever bake a home-made pizza with lots of cheese and it drips? or scalloped potatoes that bubble over?)

The spills could catch on fire.

When I use the cleaning cycle - not very often - I do like to stay "nearby" - but not in the kitchen with it - it stinks when it is doing its thing.

Either open windows or keep the vent fan going.

dunster 08-02-2017 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by KrissyD. (Post 7877790)
I use the self cleaning option all the time , A plus is if you have yucky cookie sheets , muffin pans or want to clean the grates on your stove or out side grill throw them in before you start & they come out REALLY clean

What a great idea!

anne2016 08-02-2017 06:35 AM

The temp has to get high in order to clean the baked-on grime. I use mine all the time. I know a person who puts her roasters and other items in her oven when doing self-cleaning and the items are given a good cleaning.
When she was buying her stove, the salesperson told her about that neat trick.

bearisgray 08-02-2017 06:36 AM

Check the manual to see if it recommends removing the racks before starting the cleaning or if it's okay to leave the racks in the oven for the process.

Mariposa 08-02-2017 06:55 AM

My manual says to remove the racks before cleaning. It gets really hot and stinky, so I leave a window open and I stay around as a just in case.