Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Serger (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/serger-t145768.html)

katastrofy1967 08-17-2011 06:43 AM

I haver the opportunity to get an serger for free, the thing is that I have several sewing machines two antique singers that work but aren't used and 4 others that are. I want to make sure that the next machine that comes in my cluttered quilting room has a purpose. I have never used a serger and I am relativivly new to quilting. There are some classes offered here at some of the fabric stores in the late fall. I guess my question is can I use in quilting? I know I could use it in my clothes alterations but I want to make sure that it is VERY useful. Any thoughts?

cherylynne 08-17-2011 06:47 AM

I don't use a serger for quilting, but there is a new book out that tells how you can. I'll look into finding the title.

katastrofy1967 08-17-2011 06:48 AM

Thank you, maybe I can get it from the library.

Candace 08-17-2011 06:52 AM

Sergers can be used in some quilts, but would you use it often enough to warrant the space? Probably not...unless you sew garments. I love my serger, but I see no need to use it for quilting. It adds bulk in seams and a serger is probably not going to be your "go to" machine for piecing.

katastrofy1967 08-17-2011 06:54 AM

Could you use it for the appliqué pieces?

grann of 6 08-17-2011 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by katastrofy1967

I don't know how you could use it for applique. I use mine mostly for making fleece blankets for my bed. I use the serger to finish the edges. Nancys Notions has books on serger use. I would check some out before I took the serger. I find using it for quilting as not practical, makes the seams too bulky and basically a waste of a lot of thread.

Prism99 08-17-2011 07:04 AM

I find a serger to be most useful for making children's clothing -- very valuable for that!

I've made a quilt on my serger, but found that I prefer piecing on a sewing machine. Some quilters use a serger on the cut ends of fabric to prevent raveling during pre-washing. I don't pre-wash, so don't use it for that.

KatiesMom 08-17-2011 07:06 AM

I love my serger,since I am only five feet tall everything I buy has to be cut off and hemed.I also use my serger for putting deco edges on placemats and using the rolled hem on napkins etc. Think of a serger like a big pot or pan in your kitchen every one has a useful job and its there when you needed it.

Prism99 08-17-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by katastrofy1967

No way to use it for applique. However, it can be used for decorative edge stitching. For example, I have seen it used for a denim quilt. Squares were sewn together on a serger using red woolly thread (thick and stretchy stuff); this was the top of the quilt. The serged seams were sewn down with a sewing machine. This would be a lot of fun to do and is a way to make a denim quilt that is not too heavy -- only a single layer of denim. Back side showed seamed denim; front side had the decorative red stitching along the seams.

Grama Lehr 08-17-2011 08:12 AM

I love my serger, but I use it mainly for clothing or costumes. I do use it to finish the edges before I put on my binding. Also great for home dec items!!