Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Serger - your opinions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/serger-your-opinions-t277179.html)

PABerard 03-29-2016 04:09 AM

I love mine and use it every time I sew. I started (around 25 years ago) with a basic Singer 4 thread. It was great, stitched great, real work horse. But oh the threading of it! Nothing could bring me to tears like that machine. So when I went to the Sewing and Quilting Expo about 10 years ago, most of the big name companies were there and I got to test drive all their sergers. I loved most of the stitching on all of them, Husqvarna the most, but using the Babylock air threading sold me. I change thread colors now just because I can! Perhaps they have become easier to tame now, but I am still happy with my choice.

Good luck. I suggest getting one that comes with lessons though ~ Pat

Lady Diana 03-29-2016 04:11 AM

The Babylocks are the best with their auto air threading. I have an Evolve wave and the new Ovation. Love them both...Ovation is my favorite....larger harp space....JUST CHECK OUT YOUR DEALERS....go to the Babylpxk aite and watch videos...these machines do so much more than serge over raw edge....Nancy Zieman has feee videos on serging...look for them on Wisconsin Public TV.

abby janke 03-29-2016 04:31 AM

I bought a new one someone had for sale in are local quilt shop. Took a couple of classes and off I went. Use it mainly for edging dish towels. Check around most people that get them never use them.Should be able to pick a good one for little cost.

ManiacQuilter2 03-29-2016 04:36 AM

I have a Baby Lock I bought when I worked part time for House of Fabric. It is a waste of money for me. I hardly use it any more.

romanojg 03-29-2016 05:10 AM

I love my Babylock Ovation. I had just bought a Viking top of the line with self adjusting tension and decided to go to the Babylock event to learn more. I learned so much and I love the wave stitch so much that I bought it. I take classes and have made a night gown, two jackets, table runners, quilts, completely on the serger. My teacher says yes, alot of what we were doing could be done on a machine but since its a serger class we only use the serger. I love all of the great things you can do on them. Eventually I'll get around to putting my viking up on offer up or CL but right now I love the Babylock, the auto thread, the wave stitch, the auto tension, etc. so much to love about this machine.

Lyncat 03-29-2016 06:23 AM

I love my Babylock Enlighten. The jet air threading makes all the difference, and it also automatically adjusts the tension. Two great features!

Zinda 03-29-2016 06:38 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions. Still thinking if I really need it. All of your input has helped.

MaggieLou 03-29-2016 06:50 AM

If your machine has decorative stitches it may have a similar stitch to a serger. Even my 40 y/o Kenmore has one.

mstalnaker 03-29-2016 07:45 AM

Baby Lock is a great serger. They are very user friendly, and the newer ones have easy air threading.

FoxyLady 03-29-2016 07:51 AM

I've had my BabyLock Imagine serger for years and wouldn't trade it for anything (unless a newer one). It is self-threading so you don't have to worry about getting the thread right for each looper. Absolutely love it. It was well worth the investment. Suggest you find a dealer and inquire about promotions. That's when I got mine for much less than the standard price.