Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sewing machine for little girl (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sewing-machine-little-girl-t310588.html)

crafty pat 04-17-2020 11:59 AM

My Daughter and Grand Daughter has the project Runway by Brother from Wall Mart. They love them and have stayed with them after learning to sew.

olga10 09-08-2020 06:59 PM

teaching children sewing

For my granddaughter's 6th. birthday I gave her a very decorative sewing box which I purchased from Joann Fabrics. I made up a sewing binder with tab with all kinds of information about sewing: a sheet of basic sewing stitches(running stick, back stitch, blanket stitch), downloaded embroidery instructions for simple embroidery, a sheet introducing sewing machine parts, a piece of material with all the different stitches my machine can sew, a list of videos on U-tube on how to sew, the last tab was where she could put pictures of her finished work

I also put some white practice fabric with lines so she could practice the different stitches, a simple picture I drew of a bunny in a yard with different flowers she can practice on, a simple picture to embroider with embroidery thread, a more difficult embroidery kit, and basic sewing supplies, and 5 coupons for five two hour sewing lessens. She loved it !!!!

Then for my other 5 year old granddaughter I made a crocheting box with all the necessary pictures along with crocheting supplies.

I have 9 grandchildren and five of them are girls. I used to be a special education teacher and learned you have to start with the very basics. One of my granddaughters really got into the crocheting and started a little group in her kindergarten class where she was teaching the children how to crochet.

The next step is learning how to sew on the sewing machine and knitting. I love passing on these skills. I know they certainly enriched my life.

bearisgray 09-08-2020 07:56 PM

I think, no matter your granddaughter's age, get her a "real" machine.

You did not mention her age - or her interest level -

PS - Welcome to The Quilting Board -

cashs_mom 09-08-2020 10:15 PM

I learned to sew on my mom's 301a (I still have the machine and still use it extensively for piecing). I would not buy a "kid's machine". I think it's a waste of money. An inexpensive Brother with speed control would probably be a good choice. She can sew on it for years whereas she will outgrow a kid's machine in no time.

Kinzi 09-09-2020 10:45 AM

Sewing machine for a child

I bought my 10 year old granddaughter a inexpensive Singer. She is now 14 and I’ve been giving her sewing lessons via FaceTime. For Christmas I am going to upgrade her machine but will probably get her a Janome because the quilt shop is near her home. I have had my 5 year old granddaughter on my Bernina 931
Whichever machine you get her/then buy an adult machine.

SusieQOH 09-09-2020 11:09 AM

I agree with an adult machine, but nothing too extravagant.
I have 3 boys and when they were little they were fascinated with my machine. I taught all of them how to use it by
around 5 or 6.
My youngest son really took off with it. In high school he made all kinds of wacky clothes! Everyone thought he was so cool.
I think it's a nice skill to have no matter the gender.
Only one of their wives sews so she's going to get a lot of stuff when I croak! lol :)
Welcome to the board!