Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sewing Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sewing-machines-t139010.html)

mscupid804 07-20-2011 10:21 AM

Ladies, do any of you have a Singer Stylist that has 100 diff stitches? I'm looking to get a new one and Fingerhut has this one for $299.99. I also went to the Singer site and they have a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 Quilter Sewing Machine w/600 stitches for $448.95. But I want to know who has the 1st one and what do you think about it?? TIA!

pocoellie 07-20-2011 12:37 PM

Personally speaking, I wouldn't buy a new Singer, an old one yes. My personal opinion.

mscupid804 07-20-2011 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
Personally speaking, I wouldn't buy a new Singer, an old one yes. My personal opinion.

Why poco??

pocoellie 07-20-2011 02:06 PM

I'm sorry, but in my opinion new Singers are pieces of junk. I would go to a dealer or several, however many are close to you, and see what they have for a trade in or even a new one. Lots of times they will have a high end machine that was traded in for a higher end machine and it's all been gone through and serviced and most the time, you'll get some free lessons on learning the machine.

scowlkat 07-20-2011 04:23 PM

The only way I would have a new Singer in my house is if they paid ME $299! Please look into other options.

scowlkat 07-20-2011 04:23 PM

The only way I would have a new Singer in my house is if they paid ME $299! Please look into other options.

Seriously - go to www.sewingpatternreview.com and check the reviews on that particular machine before you buy.

mscupid804 07-20-2011 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat

Seriously - go to www.sewingpatternreview.com and check the reviews on that particular machine before you buy.

WOW! OK I hear you loud and clear! OK then, would anybody have any suggestions as to what to get? I have a Brother XL-3200 I got from Walmart years ago, it's ok, but I want to upgrade a little bit. I can't even do a blanket stitch on mine, my feed dogs don't lower, and I want a greater selection of stitches...an auto thread cutter would be a plus!

pocoellie 07-20-2011 04:57 PM

Janome and Brother do have a fairly good reputation, but everyone has their own preferences on machines. You don't say what your budget is, but definitely I would go to a dealer or two and see what they have for a trade in or even a new one. Lots of times they will have a high end machine that was traded in for a higher end machine and it's all been gone through and serviced and most the time, you'll get some free lessons on learning the machine. Test drive some machines that have the things that you would like.