Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sewing Room vs Guest Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sewing-room-vs-guest-room-t305259.html)

Rhonda K 06-16-2019 11:24 AM

Sewing Room vs Guest Room

I see other posters mention that their sewing room also has to function as a guest room when company visits. I use the spare bedroom as my sewing room. I sew or work on some little project every day. We don't have visits with family or guests though so it is a different situation.

Does your sewing room get rearranged for guests? Is it a sewing and guest room combined?

Moira in N.E. England 06-16-2019 11:53 AM

I have a sewing room that is also our guest room. I sew most days and we’ve only had guests in that room twice in the past five years. We had thought that grandkids would stop over more often but they haven’t. It is nice to know that we could offer someone a bed, if necessary. We have a single bed with a trundle bed underneath. I use the bed as somewhere to lay blocks when I’m sewing.

Last year our son, his wife and baby stayed with us for a week. I had to ‘re-home’ all of my sewing things for the duration of their stay so that a cot could go into the room too. I enjoyed their stay but I couldn’t wait to get my room back once they left!

Onebyone 06-16-2019 12:11 PM

DH does not share his workshop with guests so I'm not sharing mine with guests either. I had roll away beds that I set up in the den for guests. We recently bought our forever home so I made sure it had a guest room with full bath to be used as a guest room. Might not use it often but it's there and not putting me out.

Stitchnripper 06-16-2019 12:27 PM

We had that set up in our previous house. We had guests often enough to make it impossible for me - always putting away things and trying to set them up again. I tried sewing in all rooms of the house and even considered converting the dining room - but we used that too. We moved a few years to a different state and I wanted a room of my own which I got. We also have a dedicated guest room with bath. Very convenient. I told Mr. Stitchnripper that if we stayed in the other state we would have to move to a bigger house after he retired. My sewing room isn't huge but we have a nice walkout basement where previous owners built good shelves off the floor where I can keep a lot of the things I don’t use on a regular basis. Plus I don’t have a stash except for some scrap bins. Much happier now and way more
productive when the mojo is working.

QuiltnNan 06-16-2019 12:30 PM

My sewing room is half of my living room in my small apartment. It has a queen sleeper sofa if any guests come.

SusieQOH 06-16-2019 02:45 PM

My sewing room isn't anything else. I use the largest bedroom that isn't the master and I have a guest room set up in another bedroom.

grannie cheechee 06-16-2019 02:52 PM

I use one of our bedrooms as my sewing room, and one bedroom with the pc and a twin bed. We put two twin beds in the den. I wanted the closet to store things. LOL Our friend had to have two different surgeries, and stayed with us for 6 wks. each time. She stayed in the den and liked it.

juliasb 06-16-2019 03:39 PM

When I first moved into this home DH finished a room just for my sewing room. It has upper and lower cupboard and a larger pantry type cabinet for all my fabrics and notions. One set of the lower cabinets has small wide pull out drawers that fill the cabinet so I have places for speciality items. The counter top is designed as a cutting table. He put in sky lights and the room has large windows on 2 sides for plenty of lighting. The only thing absent is a space for a design wall. I gave that up so I could put several sewing machines in the room. He also designed the room by cutting a door into the master bath for easy access. A built in computer space finished off the room. I don't even have to leave here during the day if I don't want to.
We also have a guest room. I there I have another cabinet with sewing machines and notions and threads galore. Since the room is very large the room also houses my mid arm quilt machine and frame. No matter where you are in my home you know a quilter lives here. The hardest thing is keeping the guest bed cleared of WIPS. There always seems to be one. My sewing studio seems to always be covered in threads or has a quilt laying out on the floor.

pocoellie 06-16-2019 04:29 PM

Our home is Very small, not even really enough room for us, so my sewing room is separate and strictly for sewing, if, on rare occasions we have guests, we have a travel trailer they can stay in.

Anniedeb 06-16-2019 06:29 PM

I have no sewing room! I sew in the dining room, and have become accustomed to moving/packing things away for big family events. The only guests we have are our grands and occasionally our son if he's working on our end of town, and they just crash on the floor, couch or loveseat! One day I will clear out the office/library, which we rarely use since I retired, and set up shop in there.