Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sewing sailboat sails? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sewing-sailboat-sails-t253646.html)

Sandygirl 09-13-2014 03:02 AM

Sewing sailboat sails?

Hubby wants to repair a sail. Can my machine handle sewing thru dacron? Singer 15-91 Centennial (1951). I have heard that the older machines can handle "heavy duty" sewing. Thoughts?

sandy

elnan 09-13-2014 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 6886349)
Hubby wants to repair a sail. Can my machine handle sewing thru dacron? Singer 15-91 Centennial (1951). I have heard that the older machines can handle "heavy duty" sewing. Thoughts?

sandy

I don't see why not. If it can sew denim, it can sew dacron canvas. Make sure you have sewing thread rated for outdoor use and UV resistant. Match the needle to the job and perhaps adjust the tension if needed. I've used "Coats & Clark Outdoor, UV Resistant 100% Polyester" thread bought from Walmart to sew outdoor projects that will be exposed to the weather. For some of the projects I used my Pfaff 1472 and it is not considered a heavy-duty machine. More recently I sewed an oversized pillow on my little thrift store Singer 301, using nylon upholstery thread and heavy upholstery fabric. It just sang right along, never missing a beat or a stitch, then went right from that to stitching Moda cotton fabric with aurifil thread. Even when I backstitch to end a seam, I tie off the threads, slip the ends under the stitching and end with a touch of Fray-Check because I hate do-overs. You might find some interesting videos at Sailrite.com since they are in the business of selling a sewing machine and supplies for just that type of job, but I'd first do a test piece on the machine you have.

Doggramma 09-13-2014 08:40 AM

I don't see why not either. I had to repair and then replace a heavy duty zipper on a man's thick winter jacket, layers of canvas material and lining and filling. My old Singer had no problem with it.

ManiacQuilter2 09-13-2014 08:59 AM

I use to race large sailboats so I am familiar with the fabric that sails are made from. I would think if you can sew denim, you can fix the sail. Is there a tear in the sail?? If so, I would certainly find out on Google how to repair it correctly. Good Luck !

Cindy60545 09-14-2014 03:07 AM

I'm an old sailmaker. If it's something minor, yes, by all means fix it yourself. If it is a seam that's opened up, be sure & match it up. By that I mean stitching holes matching. In the process of making sails, we utilize the seams to create the shape of the sail. Kind of like making darts in clothing. You can use double sided tape to hold pieces together til sewn down. If it's a tear, you may need to cut out that section out to patch it. If this is the case, you need to take it to a sailmaker who has the necessary stuff to fix the problem. But your machine should be able to handle it.

mjhaess 09-15-2014 06:15 AM

You should have a heavy duty machine. I burnt up my Elna sewing a Jean quilt.