Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sewing with shelf liner ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sewing-shelf-liner-t308490.html)

osewme 12-09-2019 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 8338093)
I made a stack of these jar lid openers this year, and used the walking foot with no problem. (I see you already solved the situation with wax paper) https://happiestcamper.com/jar-opene...ewing-project/

Thanks for that link for the jar openers. Since the liner is sandwiched between the 2 pieces of fabric there would be no issue of the shelf liner. I might make some of these for Christmas.

nativetexan 12-09-2019 01:18 PM

i tell you, i am so thankful for those rubbery shelf liners. i have some circles i use with my ergonomic openers. jars, etc. so helpful!!

QuiltE 12-09-2019 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 8338167)
Thanks for that link for the jar openers. Since the liner is sandwiched between the 2 pieces of fabric there would be no issue of the shelf liner. I might make some of these for Christmas.

When you originally inquired, I was thinking you were doing much the same as these jar openers.
Thinking, that your idea was to keep the "baby placemats" from slip sliding away.
Made full sense to me!

Thus, might I ask, what are you accomplishing, by "burying" the shelf liner between the fabrics?

Too, while I hadn't thought of it before, I am now wondering ....
.... how will the shelf liner stand up to washing/drying??

osewme 12-09-2019 01:36 PM

QuiltE, when you turn the whole thing right side out the two pieces of fabric will be together & the shelf liner will be on the outside. So you will have a double layer of fabric which will give the jar opener more stability. I think it will wash up ok but you might not want to put them in the dryer. Maybe someone else knows about washing them.

QuiltE 12-09-2019 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 8338180)
QuiltE, when you turn the whole thing right side out the two pieces of fabric will be together & the shelf liner will be on the outside. So you will have a double layer of fabric which will give the jar opener more stability. I think it will wash up ok but you might not want to put them in the dryer. Maybe someone else knows about washing them.

Gotchya ... sorry for the confusion, as the way it was worded, I was thinking the other way.

Agree, it should wash OK, if only warm water. Not sure how the hot water might affect it over time.
Drying ... yes, I think it would be best for it to be a no-dryer item!

The top stitching ... I think was more to keep it all together as it was scrunched.
Though, I did wonder why it was just a centre X, rather than right across the whole piece.

For your purpose, some top stitching aka quilting, might help stabilize the layers,
so they stay together as they are washed and left to dry.

Just some thoughts ... look forward to hearing how it all turns out for you.
The concept makes total sense to me!

Ellen 1 12-09-2019 02:51 PM

Use tissue paper between the bed of your machine and the shelf liner. Also use it between the foot and the shelf liner if you don’t have the foot that will allow for this type of material. The tissue paper is just pulled off when you are done stitching.

thimblebug6000 12-09-2019 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 8338167)

Actually once they are turned the top stitching is all done with the liner right next to the feed dogs. Also if you make some, I did put a magnet in the first one, but it wasn't strong enough and it slid down the fridge. I decided not to use the magnet because it might be uncomfortable when gripping the jar....just my two cents.