Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   SHELVES IN SEWING ROOM (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/shelves-sewing-room-t123270.html)

chickadeee55 05-15-2011 11:20 AM

Is there anyone that puts a curtain on the front of their shelves that hold their containers of fabric and all other sewing stuff?

I have finally straighten my sewing room (thanks to you ladies and your ideas and your finished pictures of your rooms. Finally got me off my butt and I did mine. (I will post pics of before and after later.)

I walk in my room now and my eye goes to the wall with the huge shelving on it, and even though it is straighten, I don't want that to be the center point of the room, so I am thinking of hanging curtains on it.

What do you think?

Kat Sews 05-15-2011 11:49 AM

I think curtains would not only look nice, but would protect your fabric from light and dust.

carolaug 05-15-2011 12:00 PM

Curtains would be perfect...get a rod that you can take down when you need to admire...and pick out fabric. How about a quilted Curtain...Can't wait to see what you come up with.

craftybear 05-15-2011 12:05 PM

yes, a curtain made from quilt blocks would be so cute (I have a cheater quilt curtain to hide things on a shelf in my craft room)

chickadeee55 05-15-2011 12:09 PM

Well, so far I have tried two, one was a solid fabric way too dark in color, that has to go back. Then I had a pair of textured sheers in a white, (they were on their way to Goodwill) so I thought I will dye them, I tried coffee dye first, didn't work, so then I tried a light wine color. Well, they came out way pink (even washed them several times) so now Goodwill gets pink curtians instead of white. Still looking for the right color without spending a fortune. Buying them is cheaper than getting material and making them.
Ah, another journey to travel.

Melrose R 05-15-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
Well, so far I have tried two, one was a solid fabric way too dark in color, that has to go back. Then I had a pair of textured sheers in a white, (they were on their way to Goodwill) so I thought I will dye them, I tried coffee dye first, didn't work, so then I tried a light wine color. Well, they came out way pink (even washed them several times) so now Goodwill gets pink curtians instead of white. Still looking for the right color without spending a fortune. Buying them is cheaper than getting material and making them.
Ah, another journey to travel.

How about using some dye to make those pink curtains work for you. I think they have the kind you can use in your machine with out any after effects. HTH!

hobbykat1955 05-15-2011 12:25 PM

Absolutely...in fact most of my shelves and drawers are in my large closet that had sliding doors...I took the doors off because needed to open doors, draws so I hung curtains to hide it all.

genafan201 05-15-2011 12:42 PM

I wish I had the space in my craft room for shelves :(

Sandygirl 05-15-2011 12:46 PM

I would use a tension rod on each shelf and use a different print or color fabric for each shelf. Kind of a ruffled look! Or just put the tension rod on the second shelf to cover the bottom shelves and put a display on the first shelf. I did this in my home office. I could not stand to look at the misc books (hubbies) on the shelves and the visual clutter was getting to me. Sandy

QuiltE 05-15-2011 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
yes, a curtain made from quilt blocks would be so cute (I have a cheater quilt curtain to hide things on a shelf in my craft room)

I was thinking exactly the same thing!! Make a quilt, we have the technology!! :)

I can understand that you don't want doors on there, but if you don't have a design wall, the doors can make a perfect design wall. If you don't want the doors, then your hanging fabric could double as a design wall, though you'd need to pin your pieces on because of the movement of the fabric ... better than nothing! :)