Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Should I upgrade my Babylock Destiny to Destiny II? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/should-i-upgrade-my-babylock-destiny-destiny-ii-t286769.html)

joivey 03-13-2017 05:42 AM

Should I upgrade my Babylock Destiny to Destiny II?

I have a Babylock Destiny, which I love, but there is now a newer one, the Destiny II, which has some added features, plus an additional hoop. I can upgrade my Destiny to a Destiny II for about $500. Does anyone have any experience or advice about this? Also, I now live more that 2 hours from my dealer........so does any one know where I could purchase this upgrade online?
Thank you,
Jo Ann

Jane Quilter 03-13-2017 05:57 AM

Call your dealer, 2 hrs away, and ask her about the offer and what does she recommend and why. If you agree, and want it, make the trip. This equipment is too expensive not to have a relationship with a dealer. And you don't want to risk damage during shipment. Does this offer require you to trade in yours for the upgrade of $500. Have you thought about how will you pack and ship your machine, and risk damage, to get your machine to a dealer who is honoring this offer. Paying for shipping of 2 machines is pricey, but again damage would be my biggest concern

joivey 03-13-2017 06:27 AM

Thank you for your answer. The upgrade would not involve exchanging machines.......it would be a software update to my current machine that would add more designs, etc, plus another hoop. It would give more editing capabilities.
Thanks,
Jo Ann

QuiltnNan 03-13-2017 07:23 AM

if you feel that the upgrade would bring you more joy, then go for it. but they are right about a relationship with a dealer for other machine support... 2 hours seems worth it to me.

romanojg 03-14-2017 04:12 AM

I'm not sure where you are at from Hampton Roads but try calling Tidewater sew n vac, the corporate office and they should be able to help. They represent Brother, Babylock, Janome and others. I've been dealing with them for a few years and they are a good company. Upgrading for about 500 is a great deal.

joivey 03-14-2017 04:50 AM

Thank you, Judy. Upgrading is not getting a new machine.............its a software update via the internet, that then gives my machine more stitches, etc, plus an extra hoop.

Bneighbor 03-14-2017 06:19 AM

I really liked the latest update....the new quilting stitches are excellent! I have not used the IQ designer side of the machine much because I can digitize in my Floriani software quicker and with more options for the stitch tyspes offers in IQ. But the quilt stitches are fantastic!!!!
hopefully BL will add to the stitch selections besides the 2 or 3 that are in the machine now....better fills and the opportunity to adjust the satin stitch and better digitizing.
of course, the machine will not have full digitizing abilities in line with BL stand alone software or other brands of software, but for those that don't want to go the full digitizing road, these are great options.

patski 03-14-2017 07:00 AM

They can sometimes put in the new software and update your machine for less.

susan... 03-14-2017 08:32 AM

i updated my destiny and i am happy with the new features and hoop. If you can afford it go for it.

joivey 03-14-2017 12:41 PM

Thank you all. Glad you like your updated machine and hoop.