Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Signs ................of spring! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/signs-spring-t115348.html)

emmah 04-11-2011 02:05 PM

Finally here in the finger lakes the last of the snow is melting from the big piles. I walked our 12 acres today and my crocus and tete a tete daffodils are blooming, as well as the skunk cabbage in our wetland corner of the property. We have been hearing the birds romancing one another for a couple weeks, but now it is the spring peepers (little frogs) with a deafening chorus of high pitched sounds. SPRING IS HERE.

Carrie Jo 04-11-2011 02:09 PM

Finally!!!!!!!!!!

carhop 04-11-2011 02:12 PM

It went form winter to summer here. The only sign I saw was the birds built a nest in side my rear bumper it was quite big as I have a truck and they used half of the bumper

QuiltE 04-11-2011 03:06 PM

I always know when Spring really is here ....... when we see the first dandelions blooming! :)

I guess I will have to start watching my roadside mailbox ... the last few years I have a persistent bird that has conveniently built her nest in there!

Suzi 04-11-2011 03:32 PM

Spring for us is the spring peepers (although the toads croaking are a little earlier than the peepers), the arrival of the robins, the skunk cabbages, the doves building their nests in the pine tree, pee-the-beds blooming along with the Bloodroots. Yup - Spring has sprung!

genafan201 04-11-2011 03:57 PM

We had our first good rain and then the earthworms were all over the driveway! Ahh, Spring in Minnesota :)

emmah 04-11-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Spring for us is the spring peepers (although the toads croaking are a little earlier than the peepers), the arrival of the robins, the skunk cabbages, the doves building their nests in the pine tree, pee-the-beds blooming along with the Bloodroots. Yup - Spring has sprung!

I used to live in PA but I am mystified: what are pee-the-beds? I love learning local names for wild plants.

Suzi 04-11-2011 05:09 PM

Pee-the-beds are little yellow flowers (not dandelions but similar) that grow on roadsides in leaf litter or even in stones and debris. They open in the morning and close in the evening and are right back the next morning. Gee - you should have them in New York ... ;o)

emmah 04-12-2011 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Pee-the-beds are little yellow flowers (not dandelions but similar) that grow on roadsides in leaf litter or even in stones and debris. They open in the morning and close in the evening and are right back the next morning. Gee - you should have them in New York ... ;o)

I think they are coltsfoot from your description and yes, we do have them but not so common as in PA. I always liked them, they seem to grow where no other plant wants to grow.

amma 04-13-2011 07:28 PM

Still waiting here for more signs of spring... Happy to hear other areas are forging ahead :D:D:D