Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Silverfish (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/silverfish-t138702.html)

sewgray 07-19-2011 06:06 AM

Has anyone had them and were you successful in getting rid of them? I've only seen two, but I know there has to be more.

ckcowl 07-19-2011 06:26 AM

yup= living on the lake- we get them every year- some years are worse than other years (has to do with humidity it seems) we have to have an exterminator company come in mid-june every year-
we tried and tried to deal on our own- wasted alot of money- for us it is much better-cost effective to just leave it to the professionals.they seem to show up in the bathroom and there is nothing worse than going to put a towel over your wet head and have one fall out of the towel onto your foot! they freak me out!

NanaCsews2 07-19-2011 06:56 AM

Funny I came across this post! I was cutting fabric yesterday for a quilt and was into the starching and ironing and all I could think of was silverfish! Don't have any, and have not seen any for years since we put up wallpaper in an older home (they love starch!). With all the starching going on, I kept thinking about those tiny things scooting all over. I have a large piece of cardboard put up behind a door and laid on the floor that I hold up the fabric to when starching so it does not get all over. We keep a dehumidifier going 3 seasons out of the year to keep dampness out of the house. We have asthma in the family, so have to keep it dry anyway. Possible we don't have the silverfish because of this. At least I am not seeing them if we do....

Jamiestitcher62 07-19-2011 07:59 AM

We get them occasionally, I'm having a problem with earwigs now. They also like the wet conditions. We have a patch of ground between the deck and privacy fence near the AC unit and it never dries out, EVER! Moss grows there, not grass. I think that's where they are coming from and they just sneak in around the foundation.

There are all kinds of things on the market to get rid of silverfish and any other little critters. Google silverfish killer, you'll get a multitude of options.

Ramona Byrd 07-19-2011 08:10 AM

[quote=Jamiestitcher62]We get them occasionally, I'm having a problem with earwigs now. They also like the wet conditions. We have a patch of ground between the deck and privacy fence near the AC unit and it never dries out, EVER! Moss grows there, not grass. I think that's where they are coming from and they just sneak in around the foundation.
===================
Sounds like you have a water cooler...there must be a leak somewhere. Possibly dig deeply and put in a foot or even two of sand. Had that same thing in a house we rented, exDH dug out masses of dirt and replaced it with sand. That cured the problem and the moss died.