Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Six Boys And Thirteen Hands...the story of the Iwo Jima memorial (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/six-boys-thirteen-hands-story-iwo-jima-memorial-t107291.html)

tutt 03-15-2011 02:40 PM

Thank you.

madamekelly 03-15-2011 09:13 PM

As a school girl of 12, I did a report on Ira Hayes. His story is especially sad, when you realize he went into the Marines, to escape the rampant alcoholism on the reservation, he wanted to "be somebody". He wanted to be a respected Native American. How very sad that he died "just another drunk Indian". He represented all that is right with patriotism. Please join the rest of us patriots, in wearing red on Fridays, to show support of our troops. It is a silent movement, to prove that there are more of us, than people believe, because we have been called 'a minority'. There are patriots everywhere. When you see people wearing red on Fridays, you will see how many there really are. Please join our silent majority.

Nanjun 03-16-2011 05:56 PM

Thanks Ditter. A wonderful & true story. We never think of our sevice people often enough. They keep us free.

quilterpam 03-16-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
As a school girl of 12, I did a report on Ira Hayes. His story is especially sad, when you realize he went into the Marines, to escape the rampant alcoholism on the reservation, he wanted to "be somebody". He wanted to be a respected Native American. How very sad that he died "just another drunk Indian". He represented all that is right with patriotism. Please join the rest of us patriots, in wearing red on Fridays, to show support of our troops. It is a silent movement, to prove that there are more of us, than people believe, because we have been called 'a minority'. There are patriots everywhere. When you see people wearing red on Fridays, you will see how many there really are. Please join our silent majority.

My friends and I do wear Blue on Friday for the men and women in blue!

Jingle 03-16-2011 07:21 PM

I was born in June 1945 and grew up with a very strong sense of Patriotism and very glad to live in such a Wonderful Country and I still am proud. I get chills everytime I see any memorials or see any Military event or hear the National Anthem, etc. I have seen old WWII Veterans talk and they still feel the pain and cry talking of loosing their Comrades, I've seen this on TV news shows years ago and remember it.
I have heard this Man talking about this book on a radio station in St. Louis, MO and read excerpts of it in Readers Digest. Johnny Cash sang a song telling the story of Ira Hayes year ago, I've listened to it many times, what a shame to have such a Hero die like that.
Some of the younsters hearing that story will never forget it.
I had 2 brothers that were Marines (dead now) and am proud they were, although they never were in a War.
Our oldest Grandson has been in Iraq twice, Army and wanted to be in the Army since he was a very young Boy. We just pray for his safe return and so proud of him.

ree-nee 03-17-2011 01:39 PM

I will pray for your son also.
For the hand of our mighty God to keep him out of harms way and for his safe and healthy return home.

dbries 03-17-2011 03:26 PM

Thank you for sharing.

mountain deb 03-18-2011 05:34 AM

I hate stories like this, they make me cry. No really, i do not really hate them, but uh gotta go find the tissues.