Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Skin Cancer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/skin-cancer-t155062.html)

Phannie1 09-22-2011 05:34 PM

Monday, I go get a basil cell carcinoma removed from my eye lid. I went to the doctor about two spots on my back and the doctor did not like what she saw on my eye lid. I just thought it was a skin tag and did not think anything about the spot. Well, it was the one spot that came back a cancer. What I have found out about the basil cell carcinoma is that it likes the eye lids. So, folks, please, take a second look at your eye lids for strange spots.

PWinston 09-22-2011 05:39 PM

Best of luck to you and thanks for the heads up.

bluteddi 09-22-2011 05:44 PM

{hugs}

DH is battling with it on his lip... we are 4 months into
"treatments"????

mamaw 09-22-2011 05:47 PM

So glad they were able to identify and treat it. I too, have had basil cell and was treated...it was on my forehead; and have been fortunate enough to not have any return in the last few years. Good thing, cause I already have an incurable form of leukemia to deal with so my plate is full lol. Hope you don't get any more either.
Take care and Happy Quilting!

bnlmom 09-22-2011 05:52 PM

My Dad is having surgery tomorrow on his eyelid to have a cancerous growth removed. He really doesn't stay out in the sun(actually hates the sun). Didn't realize how many people this affects.

blueangel 09-22-2011 06:04 PM

It pays to have any suspicious spot checked.

Glassquilt 09-22-2011 06:46 PM

Thanks

OneMoreQuilt 09-22-2011 06:48 PM

Thanks or the info. and best of luck to you.

Greenheron 09-22-2011 06:56 PM

Basal Cell Carcinoma, most of the time is more a nuisance but untreated can morph into worse. Had one removed below the eye years ago--no problem. DH had one between his eyebrows and on ears. Eye lid? That seems like a sensitive area.

Watch out for the melanoma :

ABCDs:

Asymmetry: One half of the mole is different from the other half.

Border irregularity: The spot has borders which are not smooth and regular but uneven or notched.

Color: The spot has several colors in an irregular pattern or is a very different color than the rest of your moles.

Diameter: The spot is larger than the size of a pencil eraser.

But if you suspect anything, see a doctor.

(Almost lost DM to melanoma.)

suezq 09-22-2011 07:01 PM

THat is strange. I had 2 freckle sized spots, one under the tip of the chin the other on my face and both were canceorus. THe one at the chin area had quite a time traveling down onto the neck and had them all removed.
Had one on my arm, and on the forehead to the side. So far nothing on the eyelids, but I am also very careful when I go out, Never leave without sun screen, as I am very fair and live in the south where it is always hot, and I burn easily.
Glad your doctor had the good sense to recognize something that shouldn't have been there.