Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   sleep apnea (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sleep-apnea-t147452.html)

BuzzinBumble 08-24-2011 04:58 AM

Schoolteacher, If they have recommended a CPAP machine, by all means follow through on that!

It does take some getting used to wearing that mask and using the machine, but the effects of NOT having one are so dire that there is no question about how worthwhile they are. Sleep apnea can kill you, if not in the night, then through the toll it takes on your internal organs and heart and brain.

I was just diagnosed this summer too. Moderate sleep apnea, stopping breathing every 3 or 4 minutes with very shallow breathing in between. I've had my CPAP about a month and am still working with my respiratory therapist to get it just right. But I would not go one night without it. The difference with how i feel during the day is too great. My mind is sharper, my vision seems clearer (with no dark edges) and I have far fewer of those crushing apnea headaches. Also, I have lost 5 pounds and it has not been through dieting. (My doctor says that sleep apnea slows your metabolism to a crawl.)

Being diagnosed with sleep apnea is only the beginning. It is disheartening in that you've basically been told you have a life threatening handicap. But on the other hand... it is such a blessing that there is something that can be done to help!

patski 08-24-2011 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by schoolteacher
I have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea and it has been recommended to used a CPAP (?). Does anyone use it and are there any disadvantages? Thanks

My husband uses one (after me telling him for years he had a problem), once diagnosed he sleeps and loves that he is full of energy and can really tell the difference. When we vacation he takes it along it helps so much.

It takes a few days to get used to it but is sooo worth it.

Greenheron 08-24-2011 05:26 AM

Oh, and I forgot! I medicated expensively for years for acid reflux which disappeared after CPAP. Same for my son.

dlbrandt 08-24-2011 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
I use a CPAP. Took very little time to be accustomed to it and the benefits are life-saving. Plus, no one sees you rigged outside the bedroom.

I was so sleep deprived before I could be in bed all night, have breakfast, make my bed, lay on top "for a minute" and be there until lunch (summer, of course). I had to get DH to be sure I got up in time for work. Ha, ha, my GP diagnosed 'depression' and medicated for same which only made me sleepier. Finally, my visiting son observed my breathing stops when I went to sleep watching a movie with him, "Mom, you've got apnea." The CPAP was and is like getting my life back.

Local man retired from a job he loved because of constant fatigue--thought he was getting too old. He was later diagnosed with apnea, got his CPAP, and returned to his old, energetic self.

It helps to have a sense of humor.

I just got CPAP yesterday. I feel like a new person after one night. Just have to get used to it a little. I was so tired ALL the time and my BF said that I snored like a freight train whether on my back or side.
As far as the sense of humor, I told my BF that Halloween was coming. So I make those "breathing noises" like in the horror movies.
Hopefully now, I will have more energy to get things done after work. Good luck, it will help!!! :thumbup: :D 8-)

DA Mayer 08-24-2011 05:30 AM

I really notice if I don't have mine to use. Tip for airline security, unzip the carrying case and lay it out flat for the xray and they told me that will save a lot of time. (and it does) Give it a try and I think you will be glad you did. I snored on my side and with my mouth closed, so machine really helps that.

Quilter7x 08-24-2011 05:31 AM

My step-father uses one and loves it. I can see what a difference it has made in his life.

I agree with the others, if they say you need one, GET IT! It won't take long before you realize just how helpful it is.

stitchinwitch 08-24-2011 06:30 AM

I have had one for about 3 years - when I use it, I don't snore, feel more rested and don't get up during the night to use the bathroom. This last year I am just too lazy to set it up altho I really need to. My sister used it for one night and was ...claustraphobic...(I have NO idea how to spell that), so she took it back and continues to snore and stop her breathing at night. ---be determined--it WILL help you.

Granny Quilter 08-24-2011 06:31 AM

I use one. Recently I thought I could do without it and woke up with a terrible headache. They say that is from not enough oxygen during the night. I could not use the plastic masks, (tried several), but they have a cloth one that only covers your nose, and I can sleep with it. I have had trouble sleeping for years, but now sleep much better. It will take awhile to get used to it, don't give up!
Alicia

auntpiggylpn 08-24-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR

Originally Posted by Greenheron
It helps to have a sense of humor.

This is so true.

We used to tell people, between his CPAP and my mouth guard NO WONDER we didn't have kids!

hahahaha!

Sadiemae 08-24-2011 08:20 AM

Listen to your doctor...

My oxygon levels go so low when I sleep that it is critical that I use my machine. The first time I had a surgery even with oxygon, my levels were 76 when I went to sleep--not a good sign. The nurse kept waking me up and I told her to leave me alone, so she told the doctor I needed to go immediately for a sleep study. During my sleep study my numbers were in the upper 50's--very dangerous. If I fall asleep even for a short nap without my machine, I will have the headache that is miserable, so I am very careful. I never seem to be normal with most things, and my Apnea is different also. I am in REM sleep all but about a half hour each night.

I had no problem adjusting to my machine at all, but they told me I could die at any time without it. That kind of makes it easier to use.