Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Sling TV (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/sling-tv-t284010.html)

catsden 11-25-2016 08:08 AM

Sling TV

My son bought me Chromecast for the tv. He came for Thanksgiving and we figured how to hook it up to my older flat screen, have to go thru my laptop. Anyway I think I have decided to go with Sling and Netflex. Sling has the stations that I watch. I have dish, no other options where I live, and have been with them since 2000 so no contract. I am on a fixed income and can save $40 a month doing this. Do any of you have Sling tv and do you like it? Pulling the plug on dish is like giving up smoking, it,s become a habit that I need to break :o.

marge954 11-25-2016 10:38 AM

We dropped Direct TV after 18 years and went to Netflix and an outdoor antenna. We liked Netflix so much we didn't miss Direct TV except for DH sports addiction. We have thought about adding Sling TV but every time I research customer and techie reviews I see everyone has the same complaints: freezing of picture, taking a long time to load, poor quality in picture and poor customer service. We had been hoping to find someone we know who has Sling TV so we could ask them how they like it but no luck so far. Would love to get your feed back in a couple of months on your experience.

Jane Quilter 11-25-2016 11:17 AM

I'll stick with dish for the sports and ability to prerecord everyhting and play back to skip commercials.

Ginaky 11-25-2016 04:26 PM

We ditched DirecTV a bit ago and now use Netflix and Sling TV--primarily so my husband can get his UK sports. We are very pleased with it. We went with the basic $20 plan and added the $5 sports package so we could get what he wanted. It sure beats the almost $120 we were paying for DirecTV. You do have to have a good high-speed internet connection for it to work good.

We also use TIVO so that we can record the shows we like to watch that we have to miss for one reason or another. We rarely use Netflix-I pay for it but our daughter watches it at her house.

cathylynn 11-25-2016 04:44 PM

I just signed up with SlingTV a couple of weeks ago after dropping cable and have had no issues.

Prism99 11-25-2016 05:02 PM

You mean we could use our TiVo with Sling?

Ginaky 11-25-2016 05:30 PM

No, we don't record on TiVo from Sling--we use it to record shows off the antenna. I don't think there is a way to record the shows you receive on Sling--I honestly haven't checked it out that much. We wanted it mainly for the sports.

Prism99 11-25-2016 05:34 PM

Okay, that explains it. Our problem is we can't get much with an antenna, and we are used to the convenience of Tivo.

Ginaky 11-25-2016 05:37 PM

We really like TIVO. We got a digital antenna at Walmart and he has it mounted on one of our porch posts and it picks up close to 20 channels. We use it just so we can record shows that come on too late or when we aren't at home. I like being able to tell it to record even when we are away and I realize I forgot to set it.

Prism99 11-25-2016 07:16 PM

Hmmm. I think I'll do some research into antennas to see if we can get something here. Didn't know we could use Tivo on those channels. Would be nice to get rid of cable.