Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   So I think I want a kindle. What is your experience thoughts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/so-i-think-i-want-kindle-what-your-experience-thoughts-t98738.html)

Di 02-12-2011 04:56 AM

My DH got me a kindle for Christmas. I wanted it because we go on motorcycle trips and there's not much room for extra things and I love to read. While we haven't taken any trips yet, I still like to read it. I also love the feel of the books in my hands, so when I really get the urge, I pick up one of the books I have at the house or go to the library and get my fix.

Best of both worlds.

I am not very happy about the price of new books though. The ones I looked at were only a $1 less than a paperback. Not like the publisher has very much money invested that the price couldn't be lower.

I also have games downloaded on my kindle, so if I'm not in the mood to read, I can play games.

Lyndy 02-12-2011 05:22 AM

I also resisted for the longest time but my DH finally talked me into getting a Kindle and I love it! I take it everywhere. I got the wi-fi edition, really don't have a need for 3G. I just download lots of free books and I'm set. Also many of the local libraries are now offering ebooks for loan. And if you use an iPad they have a Kindle app - so you can be reading a book on the iPad or Kindle.

merchjag 02-12-2011 05:32 AM

My children got me one for Christmas-I like it -you can make the words bigger if you need to but then there is a limit to how much of the page comes onto the screen. I downloaded The Aloha Quilt and read it but I am still going to but the paperback as I have all those books in the series and I enjoy the feel of a book in my hands too-I guess I'm old fashioned too.

dewie45 02-12-2011 05:34 AM

My sister has Parkinson's and she appreciates that can turn pages with just the press of a button. Also, you can choose the size of the print. Hers is a Kindle.

I received a Nook for Christmas. It is a basic model and I am still learning about it. One of the good things is you can go to the Barnes & Noble for free instructions. Also you can go there and read some for free. We have a store within two miles of us so it is very convenient. I really don't know very much about the process yet. I really think it will be good for vacation reading.

I still get books from the library.

mdollar 02-12-2011 05:40 AM

You won't be disappointed. I LOVE my Kindle! I don't go anywhere without it! Be sure to get a good cover to protect it and a good light forreading at night. There are a lot of books you can get for free also. Just check it out on Amazon.com.

Mary T. 02-12-2011 05:57 AM

I too put off getting one, because I thought I'd miss the feel of a book, but my husband gave me a Nook for Christmas and my daughter picked out a cover that resembles a leather bound "classic" I love it!! I can download from 3 library systems which is great. I was warned that Kindles (vs. Nook) have issues sometimes with downloading. One benefit is that if I have a problem, I just stop at the Kindle counter at B&N and they are most helpful.

emerald46 02-12-2011 06:01 AM

I've had mine for a couple of years and love it for travel, waiting on appointments, etc. Instead of carrying several books to read when traveling, I have Kindle loaded with books. Like the computer, it is a wonderful tool. Still buy "paper" books because I love the touchy, feely stuff.

tuxedokitty 02-12-2011 06:08 AM

Never thought I would like or even want a Kindle, but I was homebound recovering from yet another surgery :) and decided to go for it. I have had mine for about 1.5 years and absolutely LOVE it!! As far as eyestrain goes, I love the fact that I can increase the font size so that these 55+ eyes don't even need my reading glasses to enjoy a book! Bought my husband one for his 60th birthday and he really enjoys his as well. My friend has a color Nook and loves it.

Anne Marie 02-12-2011 06:12 AM

I got mine two Christmases ago and LOVE IT!!! Now when I hear about a book that I want to read I can download it immediately. I love to share titles with friends and family and I have all the names and authors readily available in my archives so that I can give them the info. Once I was on a plane sitting next to a woman with her Kindle and we gave each other a list of books we liked. Get one, you'll love it.

SherryLea 02-12-2011 06:40 AM

I have the 3g and I love it. I didn't care about the color as I didn't want to pay extra as the books I read are all black and white anyway. I tis so easy to download and the most I have paid for a book is 10 dollars. I read a lot of mysteries and most of the odnes I buy are around 4 dollars.
My husband read a lot of civil wars books and lot of his are free. We both have one and love it. Besides I was so tired of my book sleves being over loaded and having to take them all of the shelf and dust. Also finding some one to take them. Now I am going to purchase some nice leather bound books to put on my shelfs and not over load it and make it look nice. I don't think you will regreat getting a Kindle or any e-book.