Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   This Is So Weird (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/so-weird-t94088.html)

butterflywing 01-26-2011 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Ha! I'm 21 this year and I was born in 1965 so it doesn't work for me! :mrgreen: :lol:

LIAR LIAR
PANTS ON FIRE

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Willa 01-26-2011 07:48 PM

Anyone born in the 1900's it will add up to 111.
Anyone born in the 1800's it would add up to 211.
Anyone born in the 1700's it would add up to 311.
If you take the year you were born in you "get" those years so for example 1965 you get 65 years. Its 111 years from 1900. Make sense?

butterflywing 01-26-2011 08:27 PM

duh........ not really. am i the only one?

LoveBug 01-26-2011 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
duh........ not really. am i the only one?

Well, think of it this way...

Next year, we'll have these AMAZING dates!

1/1/12, 1/12/12, 1/21/12, 11/1/12, 11/21/12, and 11/12/12!

And if you take your age, plus the year you were born, AMAZINGLY they add up to 112!

:D

butterflywing 01-26-2011 08:44 PM

i really still don't understand it, but i have to say i think it's remarkable. and now even more so. i know i'm mathematically impaired. thanks for the explanation.
i have to share this with dh.

omak 01-26-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i really still don't understand it, but i have to say i think it's remarkable. and now even more so. i know i'm mathematically impaired. thanks for the explanation.
i have to share this with dh.

I'm with you, butterflywing - - it amazes me that the technique makes perfect sense to someone, but it far beyond my ken, even with my enjoyment of numbers <wave>

LoveBug 01-26-2011 09:11 PM

Ok, how about approaching this from the other direction.

How old were you last year and what year were you born in?

For me, I was 34, and born in '76. So that adds to 110.

How about in 2001? I was 25 and born in '76. That adds to 101.

So it doesn't have anything to do with the date... it's just however old you are, and adding that you your birth year.

Then somebody clever comes along and picks out dates that "mysteriously" correspond to that number.

So in 2001, everyone would have been mystified to find 01/01/01, or 10/1/01, or 10/11/01, just happens to add up to our age+birth year.

It doesn't work every year, because in some years, our age+ birth year adds up to some number that doesn't make sense on the calendar. :)

butterflywing 01-26-2011 09:25 PM

last year doesn't work for me.

last year i was 67. (does it matter when your birthday was?)
i was born in 1942.

that adds up to 109.

EDIT: Mistake - it's what age i WILL be. then, yes, it works. remarkable.
(do i have to know why? :cry: )

omak 01-26-2011 10:07 PM

***gently patting butterflywing***
no, my dear, you do not have to know why, but isn't it wonderful that we have a little LoveBug who does understands and knows why - - and TRIES to help the rest of us "see the light"?
I am beginning to understand it a bit better, but I still appreciate that there are clever minds that grasped the concept right off the bat!
Before I began quilting, I was a knitting/crocheting pro .... when magazines started coming out with patterns, whole magazines of patterns, I began to suspicion that there was something about this craft that went beyond the simple, knit one, purl two, chain three, single crochet in the second chain from the hook, etc ....
There were too many patterns appearing out of thin air ... I had worked at the craft for almost two decades when it dawned on me: These patterns were based on numbers! Then, a magazine called "Magic Crochet" came out with charts, rather than written words and it was as clear as a bell - - there WERE machines that people were using to plug in numbers and create patterns with.
Another decade after that, and we purchased our first computer and started messing around with calculators ...
I still don't understand it all, but I surely applaud those of us who grasp it and can use that comprehension to turn the concepts into fun crafts and products. <wave>

wanderingcreek 01-26-2011 10:25 PM

Well it won't work for me because I was born in 1956 and I will be 13 3/4 this year but next year I will be 14!!!!! I never have to worry about getting old. LOL