Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Some pictures of my beautiful country (New Zealand). (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/some-pictures-my-beautiful-country-new-zealand-t29375.html)

BlueChicken 11-26-2009 11:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I took my son (age 11) and four of his classmates on a school trip to a place called Staglands. It's an hour's drive along a very narrow and very windy horrible road that leads from the town we live in, over a huge hill and into a remote valley called the Akatarawa Valley. It's a stunning place of native bush and wildlife, and Staglands itself is a kind of animal park, set in the bush, with animals you can pat and feed, as well as protected native birds.

We had a great day, when we left in the morning it was overcast and grey, the hills were hidden in mist, and when we stopped at the top of the mountain we couldn't see home or the coast anymore. But by the time we arrived the sun had come out, the cloud burned off, and it was a stunning day. On the way home we stopped at the top again (as much to ward of car sickness as well as take in the view! lol) and we could clearly see our home town and the coast.

I thought I'd share some of the photos with you guys. :-)

From the top of the mountain, in the morning, looking down to the coast.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57205[/ATTACH]

From the top of the mountain later in the day, told you the coast was there! :-)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57273[/ATTACH]

Maximum zoom on my camera, that's Waikanae, our town by the coast.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57278[/ATTACH]

BlueChicken 11-26-2009 11:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some more...

In the valley next to an old logging hut and rail. The kids were playing on a "dolly" that runs on rails like train tracks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57261[/ATTACH]

The view from the cafe down to a small lake.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57262[/ATTACH]

aussie croydon 11-26-2009 11:57 PM

Just beautiful photo's. I would love to visit New Zealand one day.
Cheers jackie

BlueChicken 11-27-2009 12:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more...

One of our native birds, the Kea. Known as a cheeky bird, loves shiny things and will steal keys, coins, jewellery, etc.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57263[/ATTACH]

Another native bird, I can't remember it's name sorry!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57264[/ATTACH]

Some finches having a bath in a small waterfall.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57265[/ATTACH]

BlueChicken 11-27-2009 12:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Last lot...

The kids. :-)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57266[/ATTACH]

One of the early settlers buildings.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57267[/ATTACH]

And the church. I loved the vines growing down and through the window. Couldn't help wondering how to work that into a quilt! ;-)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57280[/ATTACH]

BlueChicken 11-27-2009 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops... one more! :-)

This tree was at the top of a steep section of bank, and looked like it would topple any second. Again, I couldn't help but wonder how to work that into a quilt! ;-)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57268[/ATTACH]

woody 11-27-2009 12:10 AM

Just beautiful, NZ is definitely on my family's "to do" list. Friends of ours went over in September and loved the place. It looks so green, everything here is brown already from the heat.

k3n 11-27-2009 12:41 AM

Beautiful Blue! The difference between the first 2 pics is amazing! I'd love to visit NZ one day.

Re the quilt ideas - would it work with appliqué bias tape? like Celtic but free form? :D

tlrnhi 11-27-2009 01:16 AM

Absolutely beautiful!
I told the family that NZ should have been the place to go, but nooooo. lol
I'll get there one of these days, I hope.

Margie 11-27-2009 01:47 AM

OH SO BEAUTIFUL...ty for sharing. I keep telling my hubby that NZ and Aust are the places to visit lol

Margie