Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Someone asked about the dogs.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/someone-asked-about-dogs-t20681.html)

barnbum 07-23-2009 03:25 PM

Just to upate--we had Suzy put down this morning. She had stopped eating. She got up and stood in place for about 30 minutes the last two days, but she was getting weaker. A vet visit Monday found her liver numbers high--one double, one 4 times what it should be. We came home with pills--but stopped after a day because fighting with her over swallowing them wasn't how we wanted to spend our last days together.

I drove while Mark held her close in a towel--he has bigger hands and lap to make her comfortable. Once there, Mark laid her by me on the back seat of the car--her head resting snuggly on my lap and I was petting her constantly. The very kind and compassionate vet came out to take care of things in the van. It was quick and peaceful for her. She never moved.

We timed it well, I feel. Any longer and she might not have been able to get up. We had lots of snuggle time with her the past two days--both Mark and I have been home.

She is buried in a new garden in the backyard with a marker that reads Suzy Q made with glitter--Rachel made the sign years ago.

Yes, I've been very sad and I'll miss her. But, I'm clinging to the fact she gave us 9 incredible years and 1 roller coaster year...so that more than balances out. She was one awesome girl.

No replies needed--this post isn't supposed to be here any more....just let it drift to pages beyond...

canmitch1971 07-23-2009 06:51 PM

I am sorry for your loss. I know it is hard.

CajunQuilter2 07-23-2009 07:17 PM

Bless your heart Barnbum. I know how hard it is to do what you had to today as I had to put down my sweet Lucky a few years back. It broke my heart but as I was crying my eyes out all of a sudden I felt this peacefullness come over me. It was then I knew he sent me a message that it was ok. I was not in the room when they put him down.
I know Suzy will live on forever in your hearts and she will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

Joan 07-23-2009 10:21 PM

Having had to put many pets to sleep, Karla, I share your feelings of loss and sadness. With all our pets, THE time to do it just seemed right if you know what I mean. As much as we hated to admit it, we knew that our loved furry child was suffering and not enjoying any quality of life. That said, it still didn't make it any easier........

I am just so sorry and hope that memories of happy times with your pooch help you through this time...

Joan

bearisgray 07-24-2009 06:22 AM

I don't know if you are still crying about having to let your Suzy go, but I am.

You (and Suzy) gave it your best. ((((hugs)))

(I still feel these posts belong in the GCC section.- for many of us, these are major events)

MaineGirl76 07-24-2009 10:09 AM

I just read thru this post. I am so sad, I am sitting here crying like you wouldn't believe! I am so sorry about Suzy! We have 4 dogs and they are our babies! We treat them just like kids. My prayers are with you! Sleep with the Angels, Suzy!

barnbum 07-24-2009 12:32 PM

Thanks for the replies... I'm keeping busy. Cleaning and quilting, visiting the horses and giving extra attention to Shimano. Part of me is relieved after worrying so for 14 months... part of me is so sad in missing seeing her here... part of me is so very grateful she was our responsibility for her earthly life. I have so many memories. The degree I'm feeling each one varies though out the day. Typical grieving pattern I guess.

zyxquilts 07-24-2009 09:50 PM

Sorry to hear about Suzy Q, Karla. I'm glad you & Mark had those last snuggle times.
((((((((((((((((((Karla)))))))))))))))))

butterflywing 07-25-2009 11:35 AM

hug shimano for me. poor lonely girl.

Celeste 07-25-2009 03:19 PM

I'm so sad for you, but happy she had a "Mom and Dad" that loved her enough to let her go in a such a loving way. Hugs to all.