Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Someone Help me with this puppy!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/someone-help-me-puppy-t130502.html)

jpthequilter 06-15-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by sljolander
I had the same thing with my young dog a few years ago. After trying everything I finally tried a friends suggestion of stepping on her back paws when she is jumping up. I know it does not sound "nice", but it only took a few times and she decided it was not worth it. And also, the sitting down when you come in. I still do that because she is so excited to see me and her tail is a killer.

Sepping lightly with bare feet or soft shoes on their back feet is the fastest way I ever trained our dogs not to jump.
It only takes a few times for them to get the idea, even puppies!

jpthequilter 06-15-2011 07:28 PM

[quote=Ramona Byrd]

Originally Posted by sljolander
I had the same thing with my young dog a few years ago. After trying everything I finally tried a friends suggestion of stepping on her back paws when she is jumping up. I know it does not sound "nice", but it only took a few times and she decided it was not worth it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I did this with our rescue Dobermans, plus the knee in the chest. After the first couple of days none of them ever jumped up on anyone again. One of them, our dear Kurt, would bounce up and down in front of us, "smiling" in eagerness to come with us. That smile scared a few visitors==here was a huge Doberman jumping up and showing his teeth at us!!! But he never touched anyone when jumping.
I was pack leader, had to be because DH was such a softy with our critters. Our fur babies were all adults when we got them, huge, powerful and abused, so we started off with loving them. Any child or animal wants to be part of the family, and they quickly learned that good behavior got them in the house, behaving badly got them ordered out into the back yard.

It does take the whole family working together to make an animal one of the family, but they will be full of love all their lives, and very welcome to visit with anyone who comes in the front door.

The nicest thing about dobermans is that they are smart and listen to you! and very quick to obey, and are full of love!

sisLH 06-15-2011 08:03 PM

I was manager of Humane Soc for 12 yrs. A good tip and non painful way is when they jump, hold their front paws (like you're dancing). When they try to get down, hold the paws yet another few seconds, then let them down. Every time they jump, do this. It takes consistency but every single jumpy dog changed within abt two wks. Well worth the effort in the long run.

IrelandDragonQuilting 06-15-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by gspsplease
The puppy jumps up because it is excited and to get attention -- so any action you take to push the dog down, knee it, tell no etc is giving the dog attention (even though to our eyes it's not nice attention!)So you need to ignore the dog when it jumps up by turning your back to the dog -- just keep turning away. As soon as 4 feet are on the floor, praise and reward. All this may be hard to do when your dog is going crazy because you are just home from work, so also teach an alternative behaviour that is rewarding to the dog. Try a tug toy that is only given to the dog when you first meet it --just push the toy into the dog's mouth, tug around and then release the toy. Nearly every dog will then race around, shaking and "killing" the toy for a few minutes, then call the dog over, give a treat and put the toy away until the next person comes home. (It is important that this toy is not left around for the dog to play with whenever he wants, or the toy will lose its value) Eventually, if you have taught a solid sit command, and your dog has matured, you will be able to get him to sit for a pat, but it's expecting a lot from a young puppy to exercise this sort of self-control. Incidentally, check that no one in the house, especially children, encourage the dog to jump up "because it proves that he loves me!" All your training can be undone if everyone is not consistent. Keep a spare lead and some treats near the front door, and slip lead on when visitors arrive. Using the treats you should be able to get your dog to sit to say hello, and then walk the dog outside using the lead. (It doesn't matter if the dog only sits for a split second and then stands up--just keep doing sits and rewarding -- it just gives you more opportunites to practise sit and reward your dog when visitors come. Try to regard this as a training opportunity rather than a nuisance!

AGREED! Also if you can get a few friends to help, do not answer the door until the puppy calms down, then open the door and if the puppy starts up again, company leaves. It can take a few times, or with some it takes once or twice and the dog gets it.

Aunt Sue 06-15-2011 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
I have a 6 month old golden retriever ans she is the sweetest thing. BUT she keeps jumping and scratching everyone. She gets so excited I cant hardly get a leash on her. I keep trying to raise my knee up but that doesnt work. I have to get her under control before she trips someone or knocks them down...What can I do???

I have a 5 year old Golden and she did the same thing....sometimes still does...LOL I belong to a Dog Club and have had her in traing classes for a few years. This is what the pros have taught us.....

Start by telling anyone who comes into your home "NO TOUCH, NO TALK, NO LOOK"....all of these are rewards to them. If you look at them, pet them or talk to them while they are doing something you don't want them to do, you are infact rewarding them for their action. The solution....turn your back on them. They hate it when they can't see your face. Do not acknowledge them until they calm down and then get them to sit....then praise them....calmly. Praise isn't always treats either, a pat on the head is also a reward for them.

Good luck and keep at it....it might take awhile but it will work if you keep at it. Feel free to PM me anythime with any other questions.

katigirl 06-16-2011 12:35 AM

When training a puppy and she jumps. Walk forward a step and say off. It really works and she will learn not to jump up.

ns 06-16-2011 06:32 AM

I have a black lab, and we use a collar on her that will either zap, or vibrate. When I get it out she knows to behave.It is a dogtra collar. They work wonders.

Pat G 06-16-2011 11:28 AM

I think I've seen Victoria (the dog trainer on TV) turn her back on an overactive dog. Gives it the cold shoulder.

fratcat 06-16-2011 03:29 PM

sounds like an hyperactive puppy. How about puppy training at Petsmart or one of those animal big box stores.

Jennifer22206 06-16-2011 03:34 PM

put 10 pennies in an empty soda can. put cardboard over the space that was the opening, then duct tape it down. Shake the can 3 times when the dog jumps. The noise scares them.

Or, what worked with my terrier was to say PHOOEY really loudly. He *hated* that and stopped immediately.